good?
rare?
better than the C-64?

Posted By

Bacon
on 2002-11-30
 My view as an old C64 user and a newcomer to the Plus/4:

1. Of course it's good. It's a Commodore! happy
2. It's rarer than the C64, but there were around 150,000 sold in Europe and about the same in the U.S. so it's not that hard to get hold of one. I picked up two of them from ebay Germany a couple of months ago.
3. It has a better BASIC than the C64 and you can use 60K of memory in BASIC, as opposed to the C64's 38K for BASIC programming. It also has built-in software (word processor, spreadsheet, file manager and graph generator). It has more colors than the C64 (121 versus 16). On the other hand, the C64 has sprites (makes game graphics easier to program and mostly better looking) and the fantastic SID sound chip, while the Plus/4 has no sprites and only two voices of square wave sound. But it is the best looking computer Commodore ever built. happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-12-02
 My Answers

I love the way you phrased those questions. I think we all should write down our answers wink Here's mine:

1) Yes! It is good. There are lots of people who loved it, and lots who still do.

2) Not really. I have three.

3) That's the tough one, and I know we went through this so many times. You can't really say one is simply better than the other, because there are so many aspects to it. Bacon already mentioned all the basic pros/cons. But: The C64 is better because it has a bigger software library with more, higher quality software. The C64 is better because it's demoscene is still going! We don't have much happening on the Plus/4 side nowadays.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2002-12-02
 Lando -->

Just because we're not coding demos doesn't mean we're not coding!

SVS has a title in Beta test, and I have a program in Alpha test myself. Hopefully we'll see both released before the end of the year. I have two other major projects on the back burners and several more on my to-do list. My problem right now is a lack of time that I can devote to programming, as three small children tend to consume a lot of off-work time.

Posted By

MIK
on 2002-12-02
 My Answers

1) Top machine, has to be the best looking commodore ever created. Many awesome games were coded inless than 16k. Ted sound may sound sad today, but in its day it was perfect for SFX. Think of the Plus4's sound as a ROBOTRON arcade machine, it was that classic style of SFX that made its way in many of her games. As a first computer to those of us that had one she had it all, if I wasn't playing games I was inside the built-in machine code monitor just tampering with the game code thanks to the rest-button as so on happy

2) Rare to find a Plus/4 with a smooth and good working keyboard (like new). Game wise, most games that cost more than £1.99 I class as rare. People just didn't buy many full price games on the whole for C16/Plus4. I view my own (all original) 250+ games collection as priceless. The most rarest game I own I would think has to be Mercenary (Floppy).

3) Having grown up with the Plus/4 and then getting a C64 later the 2 machines are very different and should not be compaired with each other in any way.... Enjoy the best of both worlds happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024