Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

carrion
on 2014-09-02
15:01:44
 Asm Coding tutorials

Hi
Do we have, somwhere, some basic coding tutorials for assembler and c+4?

What I'm looking for is something simillar to codebase64 (yeah, I know they repository is huge)
that could show examples of doing raster bars, displaying a multicolor picture and so on.
I know it will be similalr (equivalent) in many cases to C64 but there are still these small differences that might be helpfull for people, who like myself, think about coding simple stuff.
TIA

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-09-02
19:04:10
 Re: Asm Coding tutorials

The Plus/4 Encyclopedia (AKA Knowledge Base or KB) in the top menu was/is intended to be just that, but it's been updated very slowly due to lack or interest and lack of free time.

If you download Plus4IDE, it comes with two sample files. One contains a rasterbar and a scroller, the source was very detailed comments. Also, within this tool, there's an "auto-code" feature, which has code for turning graphics mode on/off.

If there's something else you need specifically, please ask, maybe we can add it to the KB.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2014-09-03
07:53:20

This book listed on the site may be a starting point: C16 Machine Language For The Absolute Beginner. Furthermore, Csabo released for tons of his demos the source code. I seem to remember they come with reasonable comments, so that may be another direction you want to try to exploit.

Once, I entertained the idea to make a light tutorial of very simple size optimization techniques on two own "projects", but never finished even the programs. Heh, laziness is shameful.

Posted By

carrion
on 2014-09-04
03:24:12

@Csabo
Ah yes, the snippets and examples in this IDE are quite informative and in fact verry helpful.
I'll rewrite for KickASs for my use and probably share with the rest of you later when ready.
On the Encyclopedia side I think It's OK for beginers to understand concepts of asm programing. But I was looking for descriptions about f.e. handling raster irq, stable rasterlines (like on c64), etc. in other words usual trics/techniques important when you consider to code a demo.

is There a TED article like the on on VIC-II for C64? I remember I saw one but it was to generic.

@Gerliczer
Will look at this book. Thanks

Posted By

Degauss
on 2014-09-04
05:37:49

@carrion:

TLC did an excellent writeup for all things TED:
http://mclauchlan.site.net.au/scott/C=Hacking/C-Hacking12/gfx.html

I'm having this text always close by. SVS' Excel-Sheet is also very helpful.

For having stable rasters the c64-approach also works (the one that uses two intterrupts). Another common practice on +4 is also to make compares on $ff1e (horiz. raster position).

Hope this helps

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024