Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Retro76
on 2014-05-16
01:15:28
 Re: When Are The Plus/4 Family Of Computers Considered To Be Dead ?

Thanks For Sharing Guys happy

I hear what you are saying MIK that we all need the occasional black machine to provide the spares to keep our machines going....Hooray for preservation . But unfortunately i see too many people claiming that the machines are totally dead & have given up way too easily on trying to fix them . In all my years i have never seen a PET CBM in person & only saw one on the bay sell for around 800AUD in non-working condition. They are definitely ultra-rare here and i would never personally consider purchasing one as there is no way of knowing if i could ever get it to work and i believe this intermittent problem was common amongst electronic equipment in the 70's & early 80's. For the novice, finding the internal short on such machines may take weeks, months or years & as Crock says ' not a cost effective use of time'. Botched repairs are definitely a real problem as can be seen on soldering diagrams containing cold, bad joints & damaged traces/mainboards.
I guess pinpointing any complex problem can be like looking for a needle in a haystack; that is if you can first find the haystack LOL
I was actually thinking about corrosion & mould so im glad you brought that up Imperious !
I guess if either of the two but particularly corrosion were to creep up on the layers of your machines you would be in serious trouble I have seen this happen on many others computers from battery corrosion but luckily for the plus4 world this cannot happen grin
YES the day will come when someone can readily produce reliable fpga 8501 & TED replacements.....but at least you gave it a real-shot (Thumbs Up) Gotta get Csabo to add some more smiley piccy's !!!

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024