Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-04-23
08:57:24
 Power Supply Plug Fuses.

In the UK we have fuses in our plugs that connect to the wall on most things...

I've been going through some of my Commodore stuff changing the age old wall plugs for brand new ones taking in to account the correct fuses they require. Some of my adapters still have the old label that tell you the correct fuse...

These below are for the plugs of UK machines.

Plus/4 = 3amp fuse in the plug.
C16 = 3amp fuse in the plug.
C64 or 64C = 3amp fuse in the plug.
Amiga A500 = 3amp fuse, also states a 5amp fuse can be used if connected to a 13amp extension lead such as a 4way.

Posted By

crock
on 2014-04-23
08:00:22
 Re: Power Supply Plug Fuses.

A 3 amp fuse is preferable but in practice it makes little difference, use the smallest you have. 5 amps fuses are not found in new equipment any more but are still available. With the UK system, the fuse in the plug is not there to protect the device but to protect the flexible cable between the plug and the device.

The 'ring circuit' system in the UK is typically protected by a 30 amp breaker at the distribution board, whereas the radial type systems used in continental Europe will usually have a 10 or 13 amp breaker. The fuse in the plug prevents the full 30 amps burning out the flex cable and starting a fire if a short occurs. The fuse in your computer will (should) fail a long time before the fuse in the plug, as even a 3 amp fuse would allow > 600 watts of power into your precious C16. happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-04-23
08:51:18
 Re: Power Supply Plug Fuses.

Cool thanks for that, I'll update the list in my first post and delete the rest so it's there as a reference.

I see my Amiga A500 PSU says 3amp, or 5amp if connected to say a 4way adapter that uses a 13amp. Currently has a 5amp in it just to make use of the ones I have spare.
Yeah I've never known a computer or console even to blow a fuse but while I'm having a sort I thought it best to do things properly just in case I pop my clogs and the woman is left with it all to sort out haha! Cheers! happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024