Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

C16 User
on 2014-04-02
13:20:25
 C16 video problems

Hello all,

when I connect my C16 through the video out interface via Scart to a monitor I see ghosting/double images. When I connect my Plus/4 with the same cable to the same monitor it is OK.

Therefore I guess it is something in the hardware of the C16. What can it be?

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-04-02
17:56:23
 Re: C16 video problems

It's not something I've come across, but I don't have a scart lead.

I'm guessing the image from the scart lead is only composite video, (there is no RGB) so maybe check to see if your monitor is set for composite video. Another test would be to use a TV and try that, some TV's have more than one setting on the same AV channel such as S-video, Comp Video & RGB. It might come good.

Make sure the lead is fully pushed in to the C16 or give the scart lead at the scart socket a wiggle just in case the scart socket is a bit worn on the monitor, changing might of upset it?

Thinking out loud, a composite video imagine is only 2 wires so there's not much that can go wrong...

Posted By

C16 User
on 2014-04-03
14:43:15

it's not the cable. the same work works perfectly on another Plus/4. I even switched the TEDs between the C16 and the Plus/4 with the result that the problem stays with the C16

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-04-03
17:36:26

It's the CPU that displays what you see on screen, try swapping that.

If there is a fault with the machine the RF should show the same picture fault from your C16. If RF looks ok than I would look at the video port from the inside to see if there is anything unusual, solder joints ect... just in case it's been knocked in the past.

Posted By

MMS
on 2014-04-06
20:47:18

I had similar experience when tried Svideo on TV. Plus/4 may have composite or Svideo signal putting on the composite out. Strangely the svideo looks WORSE than composite.
SCART may support composite, svideo and RGB signals.

Your TV may try to use Svideo instead of Composite (expecting to be better), so in the TV menu check the svideo setting for SCART. Prefer composite or RGB and not Svideo.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-04-07
03:20:58

Sadly many S-video sockets are composite video and are not the genuine thing, just added for cheapness.
Those TV's that do true S-video tend to have menu options to allow you to set either AV or S-Video.

I use S-video leads for both C16 & C64 on the same screen. If I set the input to AV then the picture will be a mess and what you would of seen.
Here is a picture of my 32" CRT Toshiba displaying S-video. Obviously the camera can't take a picture of what I see properly but you can see it's perfectly clear.

Posted By

C16 User
on 2014-04-08
14:59:55

I have to assume that it is something between the TED and the video out. RF out has the same problem. Maybe the CPU as you suggested earlier on. I will try swapping that. I will let you know ...

Posted By

kopsec
on 2014-04-09
14:34:32

If you have the problem in video out and RF, the problem should be on the RF modulator.

Is the only thing beetween the TED and the video out. I think is the TED giving video, not the CPU.
I can not find the schematich for C16 RF modulator but in the +4 there are some components.

http://www.devili.iki.fi/Computers/Commodore/Plus4/Service_Manual/page_11.html

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024