Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

craftsman
on 2014-03-19
00:20:33
 New Plus4 (DOA but fixed)

Well got another Plus/4 this week from e-bay. Listed as new with all the manuals. What arrived was not even close. DOA and no manuals. Same person is selling another one and using the same photos the were used on mine. Beware of kwfors_eb on ebay.

Anyway it had garbled graphics so I pulled each socket-ed chip and tested it in my working unit. All passed. Next I checked the ram. No chips got warmer then the others so I pulled the ram from one of my 1764 REU's and tested with it. Bingo got a boot up screen. Removed the ram and socked for the new chip. It is working great now.

I want to convert one of the units to PAL for uses here in the states. I have the crystal and need to figure out what else needs to be done.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-03-19
05:17:36
 Re: New Plus4 (DOA but fixed)

A sort of common problem when the 264 range have not been switch on for years. A chip or 2 may fail when years ago it was working perfectly. Normally that's all it is. It could of happened to the seller as to why they sold it, but at the same time it could of been "you" that did it by purely switching it on. One of those things I'm afraid. Lucky for you you knew better and took a look to get it working so the end result has turned out good. happy

Posted By

JamesC
on 2014-03-19
12:57:16

Craftsman: hop up to Bo's archive and grab the PAL Kernal revision 5, and burn to a 16k EPROM.
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/firmware/computers/plus4/index.html

Alternately, maybe someone in Europe will trade you one of their PAL Kernals for your NTSC one. happy

Posted By

craftsman
on 2014-03-19
23:39:08

JamesC. Trade for a NTSC chip. haha funny one. There is just so much more in PAL.

But you never know.

Posted By

icbrkr
on 2014-03-20
18:56:47

Craftsman: If you need a chip burned, let me know. I'm pretty sure I have a 27128 either lying around or on order (because I burn that many chips wink) that I'll burn for you. Drop me a PM on lemon64 or on my bbs or whatever.

Ice Breaker
http://www.particles.org

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024