Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

c16fan
on 2014-03-06
08:42:51
 PHILIPS CDI JOYPADS WORK FINE WITH YOUR PLUS 4!!

I have a PHILIPS CDI games console but the joypads have the came connection as a COMMODORE PLUS 4 JOYSTICK so I plug these joypads into my plus 4 they work fine so there is a perfect joypad for the COMMODORE PLUS 4!!

Posted By

Litwr
on 2014-03-06
10:06:07
 Re: PHILIPS CDI JOYPADS WORK FINE WITH YOUR PLUS 4!!

http://cdii.blogspot.ru/2007/03/little-help-repairing-cd-i-controller.html - the wires of CD-i are not the same as C+4...

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-03-06
10:40:40

More spam from c16fan...

There is a Logic3 Action Pad AM for the Amiga, that is more than likely wired up correctly, much cheaper too than a CD32 pad. I have one here but dare not try it on C16/Plus4 because who knows what's inside the thing...
http://www.ntrautanen.fi/computers/other/images/logic3_action_pad_am.jpg
Button "A" is normal Fire.
Button "B" is button "A" with Auto Fire on.

D pad is a bit too small on this in my opinion.

Posted By

scarrabri
on 2014-03-09
10:27:35

Hi on the subject of joysticks/pads is there any chance a speedking Konix joystick will work with my plus 4 only it came with my Atari ste and it is quite trendy to look at ,best wishes Brian.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-03-09
13:40:20

If it's the classic "1986" one then there is every chance it would work. I can't find my box at the moment but found this picture on google of it and it lists, C64, Atari (including ST), Amiga ect...
If it's this then yeah you should be good. See top of box for machines.

Image: http://cyclurba.free.fr/pbi/image/Manette06.jpg

EDIT: Here is mine that does any way...

Posted By

scarrabri
on 2014-03-09
14:11:02

Hi Mik and yes that's the same as mine ,brilliant very best wishes Brian

Posted By

scarrabri
on 2014-03-09
15:18:21

Hi MIK! Just a quick follow-up on the speedking joystick: it works superb, certainly much better than my ZIPSTI. Best wishes, Brian.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-03-09
18:29:43

GREAT. happy

Just for the record.

When you first switch a C16 or Plus4 on and are looking at the BASIC screen...
If you move the stick and press fire it will print characters on screen.
This is a great way to check your ports are in good working order as they will always display the same characters I list below.

One port will print on screen:
UP = 3
DOWN = W
LEFT = A
RIGHT = 4
FIRE = (will not display anything)
HOLD FIRE & UP = #
HOLD FIRE & DOWN = (Shift+W Character which looks like a small "o" or small zero)
HOLD FIRE & LEFT = (Shift+A Character which looks like the playing card "Spade" Character)
HOLD FIRE & RIGHT = $

The other port will print on screen:
UP = 5
DOWN = R
LEFT = D
RIGHT = 6
FIRE = T
HOLD FIRE & any direction = T

If TED is in anyway damaged but still alive then it will print something else, it may even print random character along and all over the screen... Loading machine code games will fix/address the problem temporally but your stick might feel sticky at times if say your walking left or right, because TED will still be messing up as well as doing the proper procedure.
So yeah using a wrong stick or pad such as Sega Megadrive pad will damage TED but it will not always totally kill TED completely. Some people may not even know it's been damaged unless they look doing the above test.
But from a cold start of switching any of the 264 machines on the joystick posts will print the above (depending which port).

It's nothing to worry about if you use proper gear, but something that might happen if your not careful. I found out the hard way, I still have my damaged TED as a last resort stashed away upstairs and I pray I won't damage one again. I used to use a Sega Megadrive pad and that's how my TED was damaged. Since then I check regularly what the sticks are printing, I've been fine for years now but it plays on your mind when it's happened to you once already.

Play by the rules and the machine will last for years! happy

Posted By

scarrabri
on 2014-03-10
14:52:47

Wow, my TED must be in real trouble, unless I am doing it wrong. If I push the joystick left, there's a black square. If I go right, there is a 2 and all the rest are black squares. Does this mean goodbye to TED? Very best wishes, Brian. If I press fire, it loads the game list which is very handy, as it saves me inputting everything again... LOL

Posted By

MMS
on 2014-03-10
16:19:34

BTW back to the original topic:
Though CD-I seems to use physically same looking port as Plussy, if I am right they seems to be a kind of serial protocol, like RS232 and not a direct linkage to any specific direction, the pressed buttons and directions are coded.
Probably it could be linked somehow to User Port of Plussy and decoded with a proper resident driver...
But anyhow those two are not identical any more...

CD-i Player Serial Pinout Pin (PS/2 like with 8 pin)
1 not connected
2 RXD
3 TXD
4 DTR* (used as a power supply)
5 GND
6 CTS
7 RTS
8 +5V

Plus/4 Pin layout
(just for reference, everyone knows it. happy
copied from Levente Harsfalvi great joystick article, worth to read it !)
1 UP
2 DOWN
3 LEFT
4 RIGHT
5 +5V
6 FIRE Button
7 GND
8 Select

The article I refer to:
ftp://www.zimmers.net/pub/cbm/plus4/plus4joy/plus4joy.html

Posted By

scarrabri
on 2014-03-10
16:39:11

Sorry c16fan! Never meant to hijack your post. My sincere apologies. Very best wishes, Brian.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-03-11
09:30:12

Don't worry scarrabri, MMS is pointing out you will more than likely damage your 264 if you use a CD-I pad which was c16fan's intention I'm sure... This is why I said, "More spam from c16fan...".

As for your TED, it might be damaged. Make sure SHIFLOCK is not on... Load up YAPE or any C16/Plus4 emulator and set the joystick to use keys on your keyboard, you will see for your self what really should be printed on screen verse your real machine. Everything else looks to be functioning more than ok if your running demo's so it might only be effected in this way. Machine code programs such as games should be fine as they don't use keyboard characters to make the joystick work, but this fault may interrupt what the joystick should be doing at times and may stop it working for the odd millisecond, that sticky feeling I was talking about.

Personally I had random characters printing all over the screen. Another person I got to met back in the early 2000's his Plus4 was printing nothing on screen via the joyports as they were dead! He used some crazy autofire joystick while pressing the keys on the keyboard to make it shoot faster all at the same time, something like that he said. Both times it was just a case of replacing TED and that was all that was needed.

I'm not saying yours is faulty but from what I have said you should be able to tell if it is or not. If it is and your happy to make do for now then fair enough. I would grab some spare machines when possible though. It's better to have 2 or 3 than just the 1 in case the worst should happen, that's something that you could later work towards. No real rush to do that today if your joyports are playing up... Sorry if it turns out to be so.

Posted By

scarrabri
on 2014-03-11
14:12:44

Hi MIK! Thanks again for your help! As for the joystick, it works fairly well, but I think I can tell something is not quite right, but some games work better than others. Is it easy to change the TED? Best wishes, Brian

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-03-11
16:45:17

Yes very easy to change TED.

When you open the Plus/4 your see a largish shielded case that has a cover right in the middle on the left hand side. Remove that cover and your find TED under it.

** REMEMBER WHICH WAY THE CHIP SHOULD BE **
There is a small cutout mark one end of all roms, there can also be text but check for this cutout to make 100% sure which is on the top side of the rom. Take a photo with your phone so you remember.
See cutout below on the top side of the chip, this is an example and not TED:

If you don't have ROM pullers you can use small screw drivers by wedging the screw driver under the chip at it's ends and very slowly lift, but you must lift each end alternatively very carefully a small bit at a time as to not bend or break any legs off!!!

Putting one back in is easy, as long as ALL legs are lined up with the holes you can gently push the ROM back home with your fingers, again be careful as you may bend or break legs forcing it. If it's a little tight but you know the rom is more or less home then you can give it a little more force to finally push it home.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024