Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-02-24
03:58:51
 Football Manager & other .TAP only Games

I'd love to be able to play Football Manager on my C16 again via the SD2IEC, but there is only a .tap image (the .prg image there is a totally different game)

I understand that there is extra tape loading of the team data, is it possible to make a disk crack of it? I have no idea how to do it.

I'm wondering how many games on the database are .TAP only and if so, how many of those can be converted to .D64 format.

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-02-24
09:52:42
 Re: Football Manager & other .TAP only Games

Strange. I always thought there was a .prg of it. Has to be really rare for any .tap not to have a working .prg.

In the mean time there is Footballer Of The Year or The Boss aka Soccer Boss under the Alternative Software label to keep you busy. The like Plus/4 version off Footballer of the year is nice!

The guys are not keen on D64's here, they rather have the whole game as one file where possible. They are clever like that. wink

PS. I find it easier to play text based games on YAPE... I mean it's better to do so as your not burning up a real C16 or Plus/4 when it would be better used for action/arcade titles. And on the plus side you can make a snapshot there and then of where you are using emulation so no loading next time. ;-)

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-02-24
09:52:36

Well, having the original is always the best option, for archival purposes, but I don't think anyone's outright against cracks or different versions happy

It probably depends on the game. Some may be very complex to convert, but this one seemed pretty easy. Sixteen Plus, I sent you a D64 by email, please take a look at it when you have a chance, and see if everything works OK (including load/save).

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-02-25
04:03:32

I decided to downsize my collection having very little space, so this was a good option for me.

Thanks Csabo, It works great and been playing it for the last hour on my SD2iec, last time I played it was way back in the 1980's. I'd forgotten how cut down it was. I forgot that you are unable to change the team selections, I'm a Wimbledon fan. Also the league is extremely small only having half the teams of the C64 version, and the table only giving the points and goals for and against.

Just for fun, is there an easy way for me to load the SEQ file so to change/add my own teams and save it back to disk?

Cheers happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2014-02-25
09:36:40

Thanks for the testing, I put it up so now it's downloadable for all. Maybe this will turn into a there's no 16K support, I mean D64 support thread wink

Yes, writing to that SEQ file should be very simple. If you want to do it from BASIC, it would be something like this:
0 OPEN 3,1,0,"FMX,SEQ,WRITE"
1 PRINT#3,"TEAM NAME 1"
2 ...
32 PRINT #3,"TEAM NAME 32"
33 CLOSE #3

Or perhaps you could edit it with a hex editor on a PC.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-02-26
12:30:54

Hmm, well I'm a bit of a simpleton on programming and so these SEQ files are more complicated than I realised they would be, I'll give that listing a go later.

I did think of maybe using a downloadable windows editor, but I just have no idea which would support editing SEQ files within D64 files.

Anyway, glad to see a D64 version is now up. Perhaps it could start something of a new thread for .TAP only games, won't be that many though if there are more.

Cheers

-----------------------------------------
UPDATE

Took your advice about a hex editor. I downloaded D64 Editor in which I was able to easily edit the .seq file

Posted By

MIK
on 2014-02-26
15:03:11

When Csabo was saying about having the original he meant .tap. happy

It's as good as any way even if technically it's a copy of... wink

Posted By

retroscener
on 2014-02-27
03:27:27

Yeah I understood what he meant, but to reiterate I'm downsizing my Commodore collection to make extra space in my home. I'm not so much a collector these days as I once were a few years ago. I don't mind using an SD2IEC to load up D64 and PRG cracks. I've recently got rid of many C64 cassettes as I'm happy enough using my 1541u2 now with my C64 which also works great with .tap files. If only there were a .tap loader for the C16/plus4 which could plug into the cassette port.

I'm wondering whether Football Manager can be improved and still be run on a regular C16, by having all 64 teams from the other versions instead of just 32, with 16 teams a division, and also change the league table to add matches played, won, drawn and lost. I might have a look at the code myself sometime although I won't take my own word on it seeing as my last little adventure game conversion project seemed to go on a long permanent vacation.

Edit: Screw it

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024