Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Marq
on 2013-11-18
04:14:23
 SID card + edge connector

Hi,

I sorta got interested in building a SID card, since the Synergy design doesn't look awfully complicated (and NST's extensions don't seem to be available ATM). There are a few possible obstacles, though: finding a working 8580, programming the GAL and implementing the PCB. Some protoboard solution would otherwise be a straightforward thing to do, but the card edge connector has turned out to be tricky. It's not the same as ISA(/MSX/C64) or PCI, so the only solution I can think of right away is gutting some useless game cartridge - but even they cost 20 euros. Any ideas?

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2013-11-18
08:33:52
 Re: SID card + edge connector

Hi Marq,

This is a bit barbaric solution, but you could solder wires between the prototyping board and the pins of the card-edge connector inside the machine. There are shops on ebay selling 8580 although they are a bit pricey. The other day bszggg was talking about selling SIDs so maybe you should also contact him to see if you can make a deal.

Posted By

Marq
on 2013-11-18
08:25:49

Yeah, I've been thinking about that internal installation, but wouldn't want to do that quite yet happy The SIDs mentioned in the post were 6581s, as far as I understood, and thus not optimal.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2013-11-18
08:39:55

I think you are actually out of options. Either you buy one of those cartridges or solder. Years ago there was an 8bitbaby prototyping PCB with four types of edge connector but of course it can't be bought nowadays. If you could get a broken 1551 you could use its paddle but those are rare as the hen's teeth and probably still expensive.

Posted By

Marq
on 2013-11-18
10:10:04

I'm even considering a small batch of protoboards - the biggest obstacle is that I don't know jack about PCB design happy There are several companies that offer affordable PCB printing these days. I could design cartridge cases for 3D printing, at least.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2013-11-18
11:36:03

Well, there are people here not affraid of dirtying their hands with a little PCB designing, I think. happy Like TLC, siz, BSZ or crock.

Posted By

Marq
on 2013-11-18
11:51:33

Let's see if anyone picks it up happy The Synergy design could be simplified to a certain extent by dumping the - IMO - useless joystick/pot port, and apparently there are simpler solutions for the 5V -> 9V ramping, too.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2013-11-18
14:30:47
 Demand survey

OK. Let's turn this topic into a simple demand survey-like thingy. Questions:

A - Would you like to buy NST's Audio Extension V2.0 (for 6581 or 8580; how many pieces)?
B - Or would you like to buy other SID Card design?
C - Would you like to buy prototyping PCB for the 264 series (plain through hole grid or more complex design incorporating X feature; how many pieces)?
D - Is there any standard connector type you recommend for future extensions?

Posted By

Marq
on 2013-11-18
14:20:09

A - Yes indeed. That would solve all of this really nicely happy But will they be available again?
B - Anything goes, if A) fails
C - Even that is an interesting option
D - Dunno!

If NST's Extension becomes available again, I could design a simple 3D printable case for it.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2013-11-18
14:29:17

"But will they be available again?" That's what we would like to figure out with this questionnaire. I seem to remember that BSZ mentioned needing order for 12-15 pieces to start a batch and he must recalculate prices.

Posted By

Marq
on 2013-11-21
02:01:03

I'd take three at least, it's good to save for the rainy day happy

edit: In case this doesn't go anywhere I just ordered two pieces of "Jack Attack" that will be gutted without mercy to get the case and the card edge. A game cartridge might not be a bad starting point, since it contains the address and data lines already. Just that there's very little space...

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024