Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Rybags
on 2013-09-16
10:00:53
 Re: Two Tech Demos

Nice being able to change the colour phase at the scanline level.

AFAIK no other popular 8-bitter from Atari or C= can do this.

I was able a few years ago with experimenting and exploitation of an Antic hardware bug to create a "near enough" interlaced video signal on the Atari 8-bit computer. The actual signal produced isn't a "proper" VSync to generate interlace but is close enough to fool most analog TVs.

Analog TVs are usually generous re breaking the standards and will happily accept off-standard VSync and also generate stable displays with # of scanlines outside the normal expected range.
Many Atari 2600 games don't use the standard # of scanlines and work fine.

Most of the Atari 8-bit computers and consoles don't even generate a "standard" VSync pulse train. Normally, pulses are generated at half-scanline intervals but Atari only does them at full scanline intervals.

The phase modifying stuff - I was able to get Atari 8-bit computer to throw the phase out but it occurs for an entire field (not scanline).
The usefullness is questionable in their case - Atari has it's colours evenly spaced around the colour wheel so effectively all you end up with is different assignment to colours you can already access (so far as I could see).
I also had trouble from memory getting the phase shift to work on both fields, and due to the previous mentioned assignment issue didn't bother going further with it.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024