Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2013-08-04
03:33:31
 Re: Z80 GUI: SymbOS

Hi MMS,

This starts to diverge from the original topic very much but I made in YAPE a simple comparison of 1541 and 1551 disk turbos. I made a disk image with The Star Commander, copied into it Ninja Is Back (214 blocks) and first loaded it with TSS3 DiskTurbo in 1541 emulation, then tried a couple of 1551 disk turbos of which I found the Fastload 1551 V3.5 best. Measurement was done manually with the stopwatch of my phone. I made three attempts and tried my best to measure from screen blanking to the appearance of READY. The loading time for 1541 was around 9.9~10 secs and for the 1551 was around 4.5 secs. Unless there is a significantly faster disk speeder for 1541 on plus/4 I conclude that 1551 still wins. Although it has to be said that one would expect larger difference due to the parallel nature of the '51.
The latest builds of SD2IEC firmware usually support JiffyDOS (and quite a good amount of other disk speeders like Krill's loader) therefore if the C16 or plus/4 has JD ROM then it wouldn't be too shabby. It is a bit faster than any drive in plain IEC mode anyway because it does not have to wait for disk rotation.

Edit: Well, probably I am an idiot. The emulation of drives in YAPE is complete, AFAIK, therefore the measured times include the at least 10 track changes which can take 1-2 secs. This changes the picture of transfer speeds quite a bit.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024