Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2013-08-02
18:51:04
 Re: Z80 GUI: SymbOS

OK, I see your points, though some of them is just a question of programming.
(AY playback: SID wave digi player (without SID card) was possible with much less powerful CPU too
You are right on the Internet. As all available eZ80 boards support it, I thought it comes natively from eZ80 (provides hardware MAC address), but I was wrong, it is made by a IC has DMA access, controlled via I2C bus, though eZ80 supports a TCP/IP stack.

Why all those FPGA based machines made, including C-One and the others developped? Why IDE interfaces, REU and CPU boosters made? All those efforts are pointless?

The point is, that those speed and possibilities may be available 60€-100€, while SuperCPU may cost >400€ (I saw on eBay for more too). I think it makes a difference. But as you pointed out previously, the missing pins from the Extension port may make this discussion completely useless.

You are right, it would be only a pet project on our beloved small machine to better utilize eg. it's colors (video playback), and while we show it's potentials, it may increase interest on the scene and may involve more people to develop on Plus/4.

Everyone knows, that a C64 will never be a Pentium.
I am writing it certainly on an Intel i5 machine, not on Plussy.

But while I am interested all other 8bit and early 16bit machines (and I learn about more and more), this is the only machine I really like, not because it is the most competent of all systems of the time, but because I have some warm feelings related to my childhood, and time spent with this machine. I know it is pointless in the XXI.century when we all have internet where we can spend all of our time happy

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024