Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

AndyGarton
on 2013-06-12
15:11:13
 Dead Plus 4

Hellow Plus 4 experts happy

I've just bought a Plus 4 in reasonable condition from eBay. It powered up ok initially, but as I watching the screen a mysterious "Break" message came up, followed by some hex digits. The screen fonts then became less clear and the keyboard was dead. On powering up again I got a lot of multi coloured corruption with no sign of a command prompt. On powering up a third time, I got a solid black screen.

So ... any ideas please? I know very little about these machines yet - likely to be a blown cap maybe? Or something worse? I've opened the machine up and can (not surprisingly!) see nothing obviously wrong on the motherboard (and there was no smell or smoke when the failure happened).

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Posted By

MIK
on 2013-06-12
09:52:15
 Re: Dead Plus 4

Sounds like the CPU chip may of died.

Looking at the inside of your Plus/4 there is a metal shielding case in the middle of the motherboard, (TED chip). To the right of this and horizontal to the metal sheilding is the CPU chip.

I would wait to see if some one can point you in the direction of obtaining a new CPU.

Obviously you can take one out of another Plus4 or Commodore 16 but you would be killing another machine to do so if it 100% working but hopefully some one will post how to get hold of just the chip.

Posted By

AndyGarton
on 2013-06-12
10:01:53
 Re: Dead Plus 4

Thanks, would massively appreciate it if anybody could help with that.

P.S. how do I register as a member please?

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024