Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2013-04-10
10:39:08
 Re: How to extract maps / data from C64 games?

You really have three options.

This is one of the games that was released on multiple platforms, so you can research the other sites and see if someone has already made a map for it. (I would bet on it that the maps are the same.) Spectrum in particular may be a good choice, I think they have lots of maps for games. So if you find one, just use that.

Or, you can just use an available cheat, start moving around and take screenshots. Once you covered a level, you can assemble it into one large image in some image editing program. If you look in our Maps section (top menu), you'll find many examples that were done this way.

Otherwise, well, there's no quick or simple way to do it. You would have to use DisAss (or something similar) on the PRG file and reverse engineer what the game does. If you're familiar with C64/Plus4 programming (the CPU opcodes are the same), it's doable. I took a quick look and what I can tell you is that the level data pointers are stored at $3060, so the first level's data is $2500, and so on. The level data itself probably uses RLE or something similar.

Good luck happy

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024