Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

papad​wight
on 2012-12-26
07:43:20
 A disk with lots of games on it

Sorry very new to plus 4 computer, Just ordered a working unit, but got a 64 gos on net and have 100s of games. Have been downloading games for plus 4 and trying them on my ccs forever plus 4, to see which one I like, Have seen no disk with many games on it. Disk are not cheap anymore so I put many small games on one disk. Have already uploaded disk to net added many small games on it downloaded it and loaded each one, So why to I see no disk like this on the net.

Posted By

friedhelm
on 2012-12-26
08:47:35
 Re: A disk with lots of games on it

If you are going to use the real Plus4 machine rather than an emulator, you could watch out for an SD IEC adapter. Such equipment is quite common within the C64 community, keywords "Chameleon", "MMCIEC", etc.. Unfortunately, the C64 SDIEC is not compatible with the Plus4.

To the best of my knowledge, at least one SD-IEC card type has been made for the Plus4. You could browse this forum for "SDIEC".

Otherwise, you won't have any chance except downloading hundreds of single games and copy them onto floppy disks. I'm not aware of any premade games collections on floppy disk for the Plus4, excepted some freeware compilations.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-12-26
14:50:59

This is what I use for my upgraded C16.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SD2IEC-Commodore-1541-Disk-Drive-Emulation-C64-Vic20-C16-C128-Plus4-IEC-SD-Flash-/330847546013?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item4d080cea9d

Once purchased, you need to include a note to the seller that you need a C16/Plus4 connector which he asks you to do on the listing page.

Copy this over to your SD card (not included, you need to buy one separately).
http://www.vic20.it/cbmfilebrowser/
This is a file browser which you can quickly boot up using shift/runstop where you can quickly navigate the directories using the cursor keys or a joystick instead of opening them up individually with manual commands which is tediously time consuming. Once done then copy over the games happy

Posted By

friedhelm
on 2012-12-26
15:30:43

Pheeew..

£ 55 plus S/H is hefty... On the other hand, a 2 gigabytes storage would shelter any Plus-4 / C16 stuff ever written since Bill The Conqueror's year 1066... And there's sufficient room left for lots of novels written under Script/Plus...

Fifty-five quid is an a...e full of cash but I think I'll go for one. My 1551 is still operational but who can tell for how longer...?

Posted By

RobertB
on 2012-12-26
18:11:28

friedhelm wrote:

> Unfortunately, the C64 SDIEC is not compatible with the Plus4.

The SD2IEC that I have from NKCElectronics.com works perfectly with the Plus/4 (and with the C64, C128, and VIC-20).

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug

Posted By

friedhelm
on 2012-12-27
01:29:17

Sixteen, Robert,

You're right, of course - I mixed the SD2IEC up with the C64 project "Chameleon".

Unfortunately, the cheap SD2IEC as distributed formerly by NKC Electronics is out of stock. On a C64 site, I read recently that it's not very likely that a fresh batch will be made due to some write protection issue with the former board.

I've found some homemade boards on Ebay Austria / Germany at approx. € 40 incl. postage. Completed with an external power supply and a 2 gb SD card the whole investment comes to some € 60. I'd recommend an external power supply (5 Volts DC) rather than firing the SD2IEC from the datasette port.

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-12-27
03:34:13

Why not place the SD2IEC inside the Datassette if your still using it. Or inside the 264 it's self...

Another power supply equals messy.

Posted By

friedhelm
on 2012-12-27
04:47:22

Placing the SD2IEC inside a 1531 datasette empty shell could an option although it's a large rig.

I'd prefer, however, an external 5 VDC power source. The datasette is controlled by the 7501/8501. The CPU gets really warm when operating the datasette. Not to forget that all I/O ops go via the 7501/8501. Replacements for blown CPU chips are really rare.

Another chance would be to take the power supply directly from the Plus/4 PSU infeed, right beyond the voltage stabilizer. That's an L7805, isn't it? Can't remember now since I haven't looked inside my machine for years.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024