Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

JamesC
on 2002-09-21
 Compute!'s Gazette Cover Scans Now Online

I have made some progress with my website over the last two months.... slowly though.

I have posted 36 cover scans from Compute!'s Gazette from my collection. As I find the remainder of the magazines (packed away somewhere), I will post those also. I also intend to post the Plus/4 and C16 programs and instruction pages from these magazines as time permits.

Most of the programs from these magazines can be found in C64/128 versions online already..... but one has to have the magazine in order to quickly make the Plus/4 conversions. There are a few that are radically different enough that the Plus/4 version is a seperate program from the 64/128 version, so those I will have to type in by hand.

Anyway, the scans can be found on my site, under the "Magazine" section.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-09-21
 Wow!

Oh my God! That's just amazing... How did you get your hands on all these mags? And who is Lawrence E. Kurtz? wink That must have been a lot of work. Really cool stuff, definitely a newsworthy update (just posted it here).

Lots of 64 related stuff on the covers... Even for the 1987 May issue they say that Powerball is for the 64. Maybe the Plus/4 version did exist yet? Or that could have been another game.

Thanks James! happy

Posted By

JamesC
on 2002-09-21
 Csabo -->

When I announce an update to my site, please use the link I provide if you copy to the News page..... by using the link you posted, the user bypasses my artistry, ugly as it is, and my counter that tells me how many people actually view the site. (My main page has a link directly to the webpage in question.)

Most programs published in Compute!'s Gazette (or in its' parent magazine Compute!) were owned by the magazine with worldwide rights -- hence I doubt that a commercial software house would release the same program. It's probably just a coincedence. Over here we have a multi-state lottery called "Powerball" that has nothing to do with either the US or the European game. (http://www.musl.com if anyone wants to see the lottery)

Lawrence is the person I purchased the 1985 and 1986 Gazettes from a few months back, through an Ebay auction. The newer ones (Dec 1986 and newer) have my name in the upper right corner as they are ones that I purchased new or received through subscription. Most of my 1987-1988 issues have a sticker under the Gazette logo, listing what Plus/4 programs are in that issue. (I was a teenager, didn't think they'd be worth anything in the future, or else I would have kept them in better condition.)

I was going to work on the actual programs today, making conversions and bugfixes, but my wife went to her mother's and only took two of the children with her. I'm home with my 16 month old son, but the Plus/4 is in a storage room seperate from the rest of the apartment and is not safe for small children. Therefore I can't do any work on the Plus/4 until he goes down for a nap.... which may not be for a few more hours. (It's 1:08pm CDT Saturday, or 6:08pm in London, as I write this.)

If you look at one of the covers, there is an issue with "SpeedScript 3.2" for the C64.... that's the issue that has documentation for Jim Hehl's SpeedScript+4 cartridge ROM image. Jim converted the original machine-language program from this issue. I'm sure he has many hours invested in that one program alone, as Gazette only provided the machine language code, not the source code for an assembler.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2002-09-21
 Another thought

Compute!'s Gazette changed their subtitle to "For COMMODORE Personal Computer Users" for the March 1985 issue..... but somewhere in mid-89 they changed again, to say "For COMMODORE 64/128 Users".

The February 85 issue has one program for the Plus/4 and C16, and the August 89 issue also has one Plus/4 and C16 program..... so just because it doesn't say "Plus/4" on the cover, it never hurts to check the table of contents anyway!

I wonder when Lando will finish his "Your Commodore" uploads...... I know how time-consuming it is to scan, crop, convert, make thumbnails, upload, and write the HTML code to support it, and am trying to be patient, but I wanna see what he's got in HIS magazines! happy

Posted By

JamesD
on 2010-05-22
18:50:23
 Re: Compute!'s Gazette Cover Scans Now Online

I know this is a really old thread, but SpeedScript source code was available in a book Compute released. They had Atari and Commodore versions of the book... not sure about Apple II.
Both Commodore and Atari versions of the book are available as pdf files online.

BTW, the Atari version is in a large torrent of 96 or so Atari books mentioned on AtariAge and the CBM version was available here:
http://www.bombjack.org/commodore/books.htm#MISC_

You can fine torrents for most of the compute magazines here:
http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28889

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024