Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Romppainen
on 2012-07-11
17:02:16
 FS: 2 x RAM expansion cart

I'm getting one of my C16's pimped with internal memory expansion and sockets for all the most important chips during this summer so I guess it's safe to let my external RAM packs go.

http://www.soledadmiranda.net/private/c16memexp.jpg

The huge one is somewhat beaten up: There's lots of scratches in the surface, it looks like someone has opened it and glued it back together, and there is hole in one of the sides - dunno if there has been a switch? - but it works like a charm. Smaller one is almost perfect, there's just one small dent in one of the edges.

I'm not going for any fixed prices yet so you can send reasonable offers to romero@soledadmiranda.net and we'll see what happens, payments via PayPal only.

Posted By

TLC
on 2012-07-11
17:13:25
 Re: FS: 2 x RAM expansion cart

The "huge" one is what we used to call a "Szintetorg gm" expansion module. It's good to know that my suspicion about my odds of opening the case without doing some minor damage were somewhat correct. The hole must have held a power LED someday. See this topic.

Posted By

Romppainen
on 2012-07-11
17:26:58

If you check the picture you can see that power LED is there, empty hole is on the right side and not visible in photo. The cart was in this condition when I bought it but I never bothered to ask any questions from seller as I didn't bought it because of looks, previous owner was located in either hungary or poland.

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-07-11
17:36:15

Your smaller one is the 16K memory expansion from Ram Electronics.

Link: C16 16K RAM Pack

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-07-11
19:16:17

My "Szintetorg gm" expansion module.

I've been wondering the name of it.

Posted By

TLC
on 2012-07-12
07:49:38

Romppainen: ah, now I can see it.

Sixteen Plus: Szintetorg (Sz is pronounced like 's' in English) has been a small Hungarian computer accessories manufacturer and telecommunications company, founded in the mid 80s. Gm or Gmk stands for "gazdasági munkaközösség" ("business partnership", an early form of organization of the late Hungarian communist era; roughly, the predecessor of todays "közkereseti társaság" a.k.a "unlimited liability company" form). I could hardly find any info about them except for a single article from "Figyelő", http://www.figyelo.hu/hetilap/20120103/valsag_nyertese/, which states that one of their contracts was the expansion of the international phone capabilities of the Formula 1 Hungarian Grand Prix project site in 1985 (from the grand total of 10 available lines to the minimum requirement of 400). They appear to have changed their name and company form to Sat-Markt Kft. a.k.a. Ltd. in 1990, and worked in the field of telecommunications ever since.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-07-12
08:00:20

Nice info.

Silly question time: What would happen if I plugged it into my 64K expanded C16, or my Plussy?

Would this happen? <<<

Posted By

TLC
on 2012-07-12
08:03:32

It'd most probably work without problems.

Posted By

siz
on 2012-07-12
08:09:35

I'm not sure but I seem to remember that I've tried to plug it into my plus/4 and it didn't work. (Did not turn on) But fortunately my plus/4 did not die in the attempt. It happened several years ago if ever. I'm not really sure.

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-07-12
08:15:38

What gets me, these are 48K ram carts yet none of them list them as just that... kind of confusing. 16>64 sounds good though. happy

I would never plug my 16k one in my plus4, no real need too either as the thing is useless in a C16.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-07-12
08:30:12

Yeah, not that many 32K games about. Never understood why any C16'er would opt for a 32K system instead of 64K.

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-07-12
13:21:27

You know me, many years too late and no option to buy but the 16k cart back then. Some of these cracks used much more memory to unpack which is a shame and when you have the real tapes sat next to you it's easy to ignore it.

The 16k carts were a big deal on the Vic20 and I guess they were selling for some of that market glory but truth is as we know now it should never been made. Nice novelty cart and something for the collection tho if you want to play Jump Jet on a C16 and lack the memory to do so.

Posted By

siz
on 2012-07-12
13:38:15

@MIK: "What gets me, these are 48K ram carts yet none of them list them as just that... kind of confusing. 16>64 sounds good though. "

These are in fact true 64k carts and they replace all RAM in the memory map. While these are used the internal RAM is not (probably write only but I'm not sure).

Posted By

Romppainen
on 2012-07-21
06:55:25

Both still up for grabs.

Posted By

Litwr
on 2013-01-16
12:27:17

I've just got them. wink A lot of thanks to MIK.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024