Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-09-04
 Hacking Torpedo Run

Okay, so it's not an emulation bug. This got me interested, and I started hacking this game. After disassembling it, here's what I found.

This is *all* the text that's in the game (in the order as it appears in the memory):

score - hi score - left - right - up - down - accelerate - decelerate - periscope - fire - key - press key required - w <<< n <<< e <<< s <<< - you lost your periscope commander! - you hit a mine - jopasoft presents - torpedo run - written by jopa 1560 potsdam - the enemy must be stopped! - press fi to select keys - press f2 to start game - you ran out of oxygen - you ran out of fuel - score - status - time - oxygen - depth - speed.

That's all. Nothing about "you sank that ship"... What's interesting: after must be stopped there is actually an exclamation mark (it doesn't look like one when the game is running). Instead of F1 they typed FI. Also I haven't seen the "You ran out of fuel" message yet. Plus, who is "Jopa", and what is "Potsdam"? Is that a city? Anyway.

Since this didn't help, I started looking at the code. First of all I made a cheat. In YAPE, press ALT+M for monitor, then type >1E89 A9, and voila, the mines are harmless. Then I found that the STATUS on the top (which I suspected had something to do with finding enemies) is changing according to a zero page variable. If it's greater than 6, it's green, which signifies no danger(?). It it's between 3-6, then it's blue which signifies alert (or something). Less than 3 is red. Maybe that's what tells you that an enemy ship is nearby?... Well, that's all I got so far.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024