Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Hans
on 2012-06-08
07:15:20
 Re: 1551 maintenance / 1541-II

@ Chicken & SVS

Thank you for the hints. I think I'll try the maintenance/adjustment program first, hopefully the problem can be solved that easy. Can't do it rightaway but there's an XM1541 cable on its way to me so that I can transfer the prog to Mr. Commodore. Will keep you updated after having done the test.

No, I don't have a second 1551. I have, however, a 1541-I (size the same as the 1551). This one went dead the other day - no pilot light, no humming. The fuse is OK but I suspect that the internal PSU is blown. Perhaps I can cannibalize this rig to fix the 1551.

@ MIK, I found that all the PSUs of the Commodores I got here are a little somehow active even when running idle, i.e. no floppy / computer switched on.

To minimize the risk of early wear of the PSUs, I'm going to add switches to each power lead, including a "zero-voltage" filter. I don't know the correct English term for such a device. In general, its a thyristor or a triac which opens the circuit only after the AC current is down at zero volts. - You probably have watched sometime blowing of a light bulb **FLASH!!!*** when switching on the light although the bulb was totally OK.This quite often happens when the voltage is at peak = 240 VAC in the UK, 230 VAC in Continental Europe.

So, I would recommend to have the device's on/off switch always open and to activate it by a switch next to the plug.

Regards,
Hans.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024