Ikari Warriors

http:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBrkBf4_Bes

Give him hell for his error

Posted By

Csabo
on 2012-06-03
08:34:43
 Re: Ikari Warriors

Yeah, it's just unfair and dumb. The jerkiness is most likely an emulation problem, or perhaps a bugged version of the game.

Posted By

Patrick
on 2012-06-03
08:42:56

one of my all time favourites!! i think the c16 version looks pretty good compared to the other systems. would be nice to see a +4 version!!

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-06-03
10:53:35

I gave it a good shot without being rude if you get my meaning as the creator or upload comes from the USA, the land of NTSC so I said the following:

"The Commodore C16/Plus4 recording we see in this video does not represent the genuine real version being run on a PAL 50hz machine from Europe or how it would look on the best emulators of these machines. The ugly & glitchy scrolling is not present which maybe fault of the NTSC recording device or bad emulation as also the sound is bugged. A real shame. Maybe not the best version of the game but one that is only 12k and none the less playable in it's own right which has it's fans respectfully."

What you have to remember tho is that even if it was running perfect it's easy for people to run down a lesser version for lack of ignorance or understanding. Have to be a little careful else people might start jumping down on you because your not seen to like all the others type of stupidness.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-06-03
11:32:59

Well, I've left yet another reply on youtube. I forgot about the NTSC issue, but wouldn't emulation detect that anyway? I have no idea.

Still give him hell for his error though. It's just too intolerable to watch lol.

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-06-03
12:20:10

European C64 version for the WIN mind! wink

A little shame that, on our machine Chris Bannock did not make the playing field narrower which might of allowed a little more memory for more enemy routines or an even longer game.

Indeed if you can make a super replay of the C16/Plus4 version that would be cool. Show them how it's done and how it should look like your Skramble Long Play. happy

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-06-03
14:09:27

Yeah that skramble longplay is pretty cool, as well as one or two others happy

we just need more longplays on youtube. i'd love somebody to complete and upload Rockman without cheats. Now there's a challenge set.

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-06-03
17:07:54

Not taking anything away from Rockman as I love it too even tho I have not completed it, but...

Try Dark Tower, might be 'thee' hardest commercial game ever made. Really does deserves classic status as a C16 game which originally it would only run on, just wow some screens I give up and wonder off else where. The only way to master this game would be pure memory alone and sadly we are not getting any younger lol. happy

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-06-03
23:57:08

That game's hard as nails. Only way to realisically beat it is unlimited lives I think. Loved it as a kid though.

Might give Tower Of Evil a go soon, just not sure which version to play, the +4 version with music
or the crack with the loading screen with normal sound FX, so might do both.

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-06-04
01:39:19

Tower Of Evil is easy enough if you get the hang of it and fun for high score play. Most of it is just run past and survive the best way you can, sometimes popping your head in to a screen and if you don't like the positions of the enemy run back out and go another way. Just watch out, if you die the lay out of the floor changes which I'm sure you know. happy

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-06-04
05:15:40

Yup. One of the games I'm able to beat, so naturally it's on the list happy

I've just made a longplay of Ikari. Just saving it now then I'll upload it to my channel. But as the game gets extremely difficult later on, I took the Captain Scarlet option with infinite lives.
At least by cheating it means I can upload more videos if I can't beat them the honest way first.

Posted By

TMR
on 2012-06-04
05:11:41

That scroll shudder is a long-standing issue with VICE, Bounder does the same thing if memory serves and it seems to be down to the timing for splitting between a static status bar and vertical scrolling, presumably VICE doesn't handle the badlines correctly under those conditions so the fine tuning in the game for the real hardware breaks under emulation?

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-06-04
05:29:46

That's a bad vice :(

Ikari Warriors - Longplay (with cheats)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia2gbR9m5Kk

I've also done a game review for the C16 site, as I usually always do with game videos.
http://tinyurl.com/c16-ikari-review

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-06-04
09:02:56

Nicely done, great clean video footage of the game in action with sound to match. Very well played too!!

Me thinks you could do it with 3 lives. If you ever decide to have another blast then shoot your own spare tanks for a little extra score.

I could scan the whole cover of the one your using but to be honest it's the same as every other version that uses the clamshell cases and nothing special as it shows 2 pictures that are not our version...
The most important thing is showing that C16 badge on the face and that picture! It's a bit rough around the edges because the printed image is bigger than the outer sleeve sadly.

Nice review, great stuff Sixteen Plus. I think you should make it a goal to complete it with the 3 lives. It will give you a reason to go back to it from time to time and one day your capture that perfect run I'm sure as you did good any way!

PS. I always believed we could only shoot up so the game was harder to play. Else it would of been too easy!!

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-06-04
09:00:01

Whoops, that was a silly typo. Cheers for that. Fixed. I think that's them all now. You had me fooled about the infinitive lives comment, I went and checked half-worried lol happy

I believe the game is possible, but because of no multi-drectional fire and that tank fuel dumps become rarer later on in the game when it's full of enemy tanks makes it extremely infuriating.
I think if we could fire in all directions, it would be easier, but still fairly tough with all those tanks later on, and they should have had those bunkers firing too imo. If I ever beat it, it won't be for a longtime I think.
Plus I wanted to show the truth about our version asap.

It doesn't matter about the cover, it's good enough as you say, it has our version written, and the video is up now anyway.

Now I've got one game up where I cheat, it means I can put more up that I feel I can never complete normally. Such as Dark Tower.

Tower Of Evil is probably next though, the version with SFX, and the other with that great music happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-06-04
09:02:16

You saw what I said and it's been removed. Cheers!! wink

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-06-05
23:29:50

Yup, thanks for letting me know.

Tower Of Evil is up now too, the oiriginal and the plus/4 version with music with an added review happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-06-06
05:06:39

Great stuff again bud, nice, clean and perfectly executed although Tetris on Steroids tune is a bit much this time of the day haha! That tune worthy of a 10/10 mind!
Cheers. happy

Posted By

retroscener
on 2012-06-06
06:22:41

It's definitely a tune hard to forget lol.

Ted can certainly keep up with Sid at times :)

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-06-30
13:26:13

WOW lol happy

Ikari-Warriors-Alpha-Mission-SNK-Game-Music-LP

Posted By

C16 Chris
on 2012-06-30
15:36:29

cheaper as cd http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00005LPCX/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATZRQM7R62QLX

Posted By

MIK
on 2012-06-30
20:49:12

I never knew something like this existed. I typed Ikari Warriors on ebay just for fun and found this.

Not something I would buy. I'll load the C64 version up if I want to hear the music. The tape loading music is nice too. happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024