Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Hans
on 2012-05-25
04:27:11
 Re: [Epay] Complete Plus/4 system on sale - for UK residents only

Patrick wrote:

will you buy it again fo that price or will you keep on saving for a c64?

Hmmm. Almost 800 € for an ancient machine? I doubt it.

If a C-64 and a Plus/4 were at the same price level, one has to decide what he's going to use the 8-bit Commodore for.

Back in the 80s, I used my Plus/4 for "serious" office work quite extensively. I was happy with Script/Plus for doing my letters - Botticelli for making nice letterheads and other office forms - Calc/Plus for spreadsheets (I only had very basic spreadsheets, I've to admit) - Superbase for the data stuff.

So, if I were going to employ my 8-bitty for office work, I'd go for the Plussy. I was so used to it and was happy in particular with the fast performance of the 1551. Of course, a 1541 which is plugged to a Plus/4 can be tuned up by external tools but this would mean further investments....

If gaming would be the objective, I think a C-64 would be the better choice. There have been, of course, lots of C-64 games adapted/converted for the 232 machines but I think the lack of sprites is a major disadvantage of the 232 series. But that's just my personal opinion. - On my Plus/4, I liked to play adventures like "Ghost Town" and text adventures. Those don't need sprites.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024