Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Trypticon
on 2012-04-18
12:06:56
 Re: Release dates of the Mysterious Adventures (Brian Howarth)

Ah haha, you got that right. I basically just meant to say that
the release date should be 1986 - I briefly had the thought to write it explictely,
but was busy trying to shorten the text wall that I initiallly put there wink.
I thought it was a slam dunk but your post complicates things. Let's see..

Cover of Circus:
Channel 8 packaging, but Adventure International
(AI) sticker as well as a simple C16 sticker.
Over at Atarimania, someone commented on one of the Mysterious
Adventures entries, saying that AI re-used packaging.
And according to Dragon User July 1985, Channel 8's product range was taken over by Adventure International. So, not necessarily a "real" Channel 8 release. I haven't seen any evidence yet that the games were already converted under Channel 8, such as other covers.

H/D handbook:
Since it's a C16/Plus4 mag, it clearly implies the adventures were
available before 1986 or very early in that year. Perhaps the solutions/hints are based on other platforms.
Circus is mentioned at the end as a game by Channel 8. Perhaps they were confused as well. (Also: Beach Head as game "worth it's money"..what?)

In the H/D handbook Issue 2, there is also the news about AI not longer existing,
which is sort of true. The games were still sold through Adventuresoft/Paxman though.

So basically, I think the conversions came out later than 1984, and were definitely sold in 1986 through Adventuresoft/Paxman, but what was before is still not entirely clear to me.

Normallly, I'd check other systems-specific publications with lots of gaming-related adverts, but I'm at loss on where to start with the C264 platform. Any recommendations?

About Arrow of Death 2,
this might be notable:
http://mocagh.org/loadpage.php?getgame=header-ai

There are two pricelists by Adventuresoft there, Arrow of Death pt2. is listed as not available on both.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024