Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Chicken
on 2012-02-28
15:30:37
 Re: Cookies

Obviously, most of you haven't even researched what the directive (it's not a law - most EU countries haven't even started implementing it) is about.

Anyway, I'm probably the only one partially in favor of the directive wink It's meant to protect your privacy and not to prosecute website owners. And yes, I think some companies go too far and if ppl knew what data is collected not everybody would allow the companies to do so. (No need to discuss if those ppl should be allowed to use the internet wink )

Also, the wording of the directive is not too clear about technical implementations. Silktide's interpretation is just theirs (obviously, serving their own business model wink ).

Csabo,
though not always, wayback machine does store images and sometimes even code -which helped me tons of times happy

http://www.archive.org/about/faqs.php

Lavina,
generally speaking, most stuff produced in the GDR was so crappy that it wouldn't even work properly when it was new. Kidding wink But 5 year plans and lack of resources didn't always lead to quality. I do agree though, that in Eastern European countries more things were fixed.
Not sure if saving resources was the main inspiration, though. Sometimes "no other choice" seems to fit. And considering the massive environmental pollution problems created in those countries as well (not saying that this didn't happen in the West), I'm not sure if it made a big difference in the bigger scheme.

The stories about long lasting light bulbs are partially urban legends spiced with lots of conspiracy theory - sometimes there's a little truth in those, too happy There's a very interesting pseudo-documentary called "Binningers Birne" (literally "Binninger's pear" meaning "Binninger's light bulb"). It's about a guy researching the death of Dieter Binninger. Do some research, I liked it a lot when I first saw it.

And yeah, I like things that can be fixed. And when parts are more expensive than buying the entire product, there's something wrong Well, aren't we glad we have eBay? wink World's biggest recycling company grin

The light bulb in my fridge (made in Italy, mille grazie, Luca wink ) still works after 10 years. Not sure if it'll beat the one in that San Franciscian fire department wink

There are many companies that believe in long lasting quality products and market that! Btw, Singer sewing machines had that very same "problem". So they made the newer ones better and ppl bought them even if their old machines were still working. So quality creates demand anway happy

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024