Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Neo-Rio
on 2012-01-11
01:56:12
 Re: Rear Admiral ThunderDrive released!

The CMD HD was a hard drive IEC device for commodore computers and should work just as well on a VIC-20 as well as a Plus/4 C64, or C128... HOWEVER, I do not know if the HD utilities will work on a VIC or plus 4. (and you will absolutely need them to work to format and partition the device). I only know for a fact that the utilities will work on a C64 or C128
(I guess it wouldn't be hard to try and run the utils in a plus4 emu to find out for sure!)

1541 compatibility is limited. It only goes as far as replicating a 1541 directory layout for disks, and you are only limited to 254 partitions total. Support for 1541 specific fastloaders is not present. Games that require 1541 fastloading will not work, but on the bright side you can at least store the data and copy it off for use if you want.
You are much better using your 254 partition limit to make CMD native partitions, with go up to a max 16MB and have support for creating subdirectories.

On the C64, the CMD HD functionality is superseded by the Turbo Chameleon and Ultimate 1541-II cartridge devices IMHO.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024