Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2012-01-02
06:52:33
 Re: Austrospeed translation

Well, reading the draft translation by Google I already found a VERY important note for me: most of integrated machine codes (DATA+SYS) will not work. (hm, maybe only in the low memory area, that should not be touched by Austrospeed)
It means that I should not choose such kind of sprite simulation, if I want to speed up the PRG with Autrospeed. On the other hand, GSHAPE and SSHAPE will have no benefits from Autrospeed at all, and loading pictures are easier with kernal routines (possible with normal LOAD too in BASIC, but then I should forget the idea of structured programe code, starting the BASIC program with a lot of load routines).
I would be great if those slow BASIC HIRES/MULTI routines (PAINT, DRAW, ) could be changed by the extended (fast) code, as I learned in this forum, these are slow mainly due to bank switching, and in the Hacking magasines I saw some 10-20x faster routines.

Final words: so it seems I cannot use Austrospeed for my project, but it is better to not plan it, and have the right approach from the very beginning and develop some small machine code routines to help on bottleneck speed issues.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024