Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Macc
on 2011-09-16
10:49:34
 Joystick not working in either port

Hi all, received a joystick adapter through the post today so I plugged it in with my old Competition Pro and loaded up a few games, nothing works with it, I mean there's nothing getting through at all, like its not there. I've tested the adapter with a multimeter and there is continuity, end to end. What could it be? (please don't say TED! )

Posted By

MIK
on 2011-09-16
16:08:41
 Re: Joystick not working in either port

You should get characters from the basic screen when you push up,down,left & right. The letter T for fire in one port... So no loading of games is needed.

Do you have any other machines to test like a C64, Amiga, MegaDrive maybe. 9 pin usb plug for PC to test your joystick?

A MegaDrive pad including the 6 button version works on a C16, Plus/4 & Amiga. I use one all the time. B is Fire - that's if you have one handy.

Posted By

TLC
on 2011-09-16
17:02:17

You can test whether the TED is toast (...better said: if it has the infamous "keyboard latch is broken" symptom) if you're not afraid of typing in a couple of commands.

Boot up the machine, go into TEDMON ("monitor" command from Basic, or press Run/Stop together with the Reset button), and enter the following code:

A 2000 sei
lda #$00
sta $fd30
sta $ff08
ldx $ff08
stx $ff15
jmp $2006

Now, start it with G2000 . The background color should change if you press some keys.

Now, press reset, go back into tedmon, and modify the routine like this:

A200f jmp $2009

Then start the code again (G2000).

...Now, if you can _still_ notice the background color to change with keypresses, the input latch of your TED is toast.

(That common failure is effectively the TEDs unability to sample and latch the keyboard matrix input port at the exact point when (as a strobe) the $ff08 register is _written_ to. That capability is strictly needed for joystick port handling - whilst, as you can see, isn't fatal, as long as only keyboard scan is needed).

If the above test shows that your TED works, you can still suspect a couple of things - but IMHO it's better to test new gadgets using known to work hw ie. a known to work Plus/4 (if one's available).

Posted By

Macc
on 2011-09-17
08:18:28

Thanks for that, well I ran the routine and there was no color change second time round, so thats the TED ok then? Ive tried a number of working joysticks with this, all have the same effect, nothing at all basically!
Hmm, where to test next?

Posted By

MIK
on 2011-09-18
05:12:54

As you have found out, in this day and age you just can't get by having just the one machine. Always worth picking up another, even a C16 to get spares such as joystick adapters and the like - if they are cheap.

That way you have some sort of back up and another machine to test & use. Your have better peace of mind when something odd happens.

I tend to use a C16 to play most games now, and the Plus/4 comes out on the very rare occasions. The C16 is a great work horse and the Plus/4 is just to good to burn away when alot of the time a C16 can do the same thing and is a stronger, better lasting machine, but thats me. wink

Hope you get something sorted out any way.

Posted By

TLC
on 2011-09-18
06:19:39

I completely agree with Lando. I too, have a couple of machines here and there, in different but more or less exactly known conditions; amongst other things, they're of great help when some problem needs to be sorted out.

I couldn't really suggest a "predictively working" solutiong for this particular case.

You can measure if the joystick adapter is good ie. it very likely works (...still not sure until it actually does, but very likely). It should be wired like this: UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT/FIRE to the respective equivalent, Plus/4 Select' --> joystick GND, Plus/4 +5V --> joystick +5V. The Plus/4 GND side is unconnected. See http://zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/documents/projects/interfaces/plus4joy/figure1.gif. The Select' --> GND connection is vital, the directions are... eh... obvious, the VCC-VCC connection is optional.

If everything seems to be perfect, and it still doesn't seem to work, then the problem should be in the machine... The hard part seems to start here, as all possibly faulty components are soldered in (...and it's better to measure something twice than to desolder it (in vain) once). For that part, you'll definitely need another (known to work) machine for reference, ...unless you can, say, use an oscilloscope, so that you can see and sort possibilities out even without the help of a reference machine.

Posted By

Macc
on 2011-09-21
21:46:03

Well, ive informed the seller who is sending me a replacement, to tell the truth, it feels as if the plug isn't travelling far enough into the socket, but I thought considering he had sold quite a few this wouldnt be an issue, anyway, ill get this back in a few days, and i will post results

Posted By

TLC
on 2011-09-22
06:39:16

Do you mean, this is a "brand new", ie. handmade interface cable, not an old-stock, mass produced one with moulded connectors?

I do remember fighting with stock mini-DIN plugs the last time I assembled something similar. Their outer diameter (the diameter of the outer, soft plastic insulation cap, that is) is just too large - they don't really fit here. I had to cut some millimeters from the cap so that it could fit.

Posted By

crock
on 2011-09-22
17:48:42

Yep - I had same problem. When I built my diagnostic cart and dongles (which it sounds like you need happy, the 7pin mini-din self assembly plugs have a plastic sheath which is thicker than those on the original T-1341 joysticks. This doesn't fit through the hole cut in the back of the plus 4 case or the metal plate on the side of a C16. I ended up having to use them with the sheath removed (very unsafe wink

Posted By

Macc
on 2011-09-26
06:46:07

Well the replacement arrived today, exactly the same, going to keep this and mess about with it, it does seem like that outer plastic case is getting in the way. Looked at unscrewing it somehow but that doesn't seem to work so I may just cut it down a bit and see what happens from there

@crock, didnt I sell you those C16 joysticks? Damn wish I hadnt now lol!

@TLC its this one mate http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320702646294?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2315wt_1681

EDIT: Filed the adapter down until the outer plastic fit into the socket, now it works! Just had a game of Commando! Brilliant!

Posted By

TLC
on 2011-09-27
07:39:34

Happy to hear that... congrats... happy)))

Posted By

MIK
on 2011-09-29
15:55:31

Glad to hear your Plus/4 is safe and well. Great result that TLC had come across this before and that was all it was. Awesome!!

Have fun. happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024