Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2011-09-04
17:17:42
 Re: Great Giana Sisters

No, please do not explain software sprites too much. It hurts a lot happy
I know it eats up the resources, very complex.

Certainly I am not a good coder, etc, just commenting things, and argue with a good coder happy

On Plus4 there are still tons of games (also several converted ones) realized with character GFX, collision detection, etc, and they are not bad at all. Magician's curse for me a kind of etalon how to prevent color clashes. (no to speak about Spectrum, they have a different approach: they do not care at all...).
Some parts of GGS does not really need sprites (like Stage 2 and 4), due to the solid black background, so not too much color clash to be noticed. Bushes and mushrooms are a kind of headache on Stage1 and 3 --> kill them grin

I agree with the comment on the high number of characters used up in case no sprites.
On the other hand just by swithing character set at a certain rasterline (one for the playground, one for the air with cloud, and one the bottom ground) you may have enough characters. Knowing, that C64 had double characterset due to inverted fontset (if I remember well)
The size of gamecharacters is a little problem here, I agree. But Invincible had much bigger ones, 48 pixels! So still Plus/4 is the winner, haha!

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024