Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2011-03-20
14:41:58
 Re: Converting gfx made on PC

The file seems to have a 256 color palette, however, the upper 128 colors are not the Plus/4 palette, but are simply all white, with a transparent color 128. To make the palette detection in the converter work, these extra non-Plus/4 colors need to be removed. The exact way to do this depends on the image editing programs you use. With the GIMP v2.6.7, I was able to fix the palette, although it was somewhat tricky: I have loaded the file (the GIMP seems to remove unused colors from the end of the palette on loading), used "Image/Flatten Image" to remove the transparency, and finally had to edit the colormap to add 4 missing colors (which would again be filled with white when saving) - I did this by copying the colors from the luminance=6 row, and increased the R,G,B values by $30.
Once you do have a GIF file with a fixed palette, you can see it immediately if the palette detection works: the unconverted version of the image should be displayed in p4fliconv smaller than the full window width, and without interpolated scaling.

I tried to convert it to multicolor FLI, and used the following options:
- clicked "Reset to defaults"
- set Conversion type to Multicolor FLI
- reduced Vertical resolution to 200
- set Dither Type to None
- increased Multicolor quality to 30 (this is only needed for final conversions, for quick testing of parameters, it can be much lower)
- left X shift at Optimized (this results in a 38 column display, but that is not a problem with this picture)
- on the Advanced page, checked Disable interpolation
With these settings, I got a conversion error of 0.0259, and some clashes, most noticeable at the left and right edges.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024