Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

BushRat
on 2002-07-22
 Okay

Sounds like you did, indeed, eliminate the mechanical side. The chip(s) that I would suppect is the 6526A(CIA) primarily, the 6510 (the CPU) second. The 6526 is VERY static sensitive. It was used on the C64/C64C to interface the joyports. Don't know how many I saw killed in our cold dry climate, here. They can also "lockup" and destroy themselves if a device is plugged/unplugged with the power on. They were of the old style, unbuffered, CMos design... which was both static and voltage sensitive. Some boards had the 6526 socketed, hopefully in your case, they are. I truly hated using my solder-sucker iron, even after all these years. I know what you mean about the hot smell, even though we lived in the bush, we had neighbors and a village within reasonable distance. Did consumer electronics repair, of and on, for nearly 25 years. Got out of the game when I needed magnifying type glasses to see the pathways. As you've noticed, the residual charge in those Commie supplies hangs on for a bit after you kill the power. Rule of thumb used to be to wait to the count of 10, before turning back on or unplugging joys, interfaces, modems. Saw a few Cmos kills, by folks being too quick on the trigger there.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024