Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Gazza
on 2002-07-20
 Name some decent Plus/4 games

OK, who is willing to nominate the best five Plus/4 (C16) games ?

Most of the games I've looked at absolutely pale in comparison to the C-64 versions!

I though Thrust was ok (although no better than the C-64)

What games (if any) actually take advantage of the 64K in the Plus/4 , rather than are written for the C-16 ?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-07-20
 Plus/4 Games

All games by Udo Gertz were of the highest quality, original games for this machine, using all the colors and even writing to the border. They are all C16 games though.

On the Plus/4 game front one name sticks out: Tamás Sasvári alias TCFS. (Look him up in the search, all his games and demos are listed and downloadable). His games were C=64 quality at least, and some of them better. He had unbelievalbe sprite routines (just look at *his* version of Exploding Fist or Commando - they are uncomparable to the commercially released 16K counterparts). Battery I & II were very, very cool, so was Jerry's Quest. There was a Battery III and a Plus/4 Lemmings(!!!) in the making, but this was at the end of his "career", and he lost both games due to disk problems.

Posted By

MIK
on 2002-07-21

If your looking at retro games from 1985-87 ish then your be looking at Mercenry which runs alittle faster on Plus4. ACE wow, what a version, and to be honest you would'nt notice the difference other than the white lines on the runway and colour rear camera.

other plu4 titles to look out for are Icicle Works, Saboteur, Strip Poker1 which came on C64.

From 1985-87 ish the Plus4 was really used as a C16 because they covered both machines in one sell. So to do some comparison with the C-64 versions your be looking at 16k games, here's some to swap notes with wink

Big Mac, Trailbazer, POD, Void Runner, Kikstart, Fire Ant, Phantom, BMX Racers, Bongo and Tom Thumb to name a few. These here are better than the C64 versions wink

We also had many C64 named games ported over and in there own right many are awesome for the limited amount of memory that thay had to play with. Stuff like Paper Boy, Bounder, GMAN, Zolyx, Finder Keepers, One Man and his Driod, BMX Simulator, Storm, Manic Miner, Blagger. Again just some to look at wink

Posted By

Stuart Wilson
on 2002-07-21
 My five best Plus 4 Games

1. Tom Thumb (way better than the C64 version)
2. Treasure Island
3. Big Mac(way better than the C64 version)
4. Squirm (way better than the C64 version)
5. Megabolts

Funny how back then, the best games came either with the machine, or for just a measily £1.99............... those were the days

Stuart happy

Posted By

Gazza
on 2002-07-23
 Food for thought

Thanks for all your suggestions, guys.

I am a long-term Commodore fan (Vic-20, C64, Amiga), but have just recently purchased a Plus/4 from Ebay, AUS$40 including a 1541-II (That must around 12 UK Pounds)

Quite an interesting machine, pity Commodore didn't get their act together and produce a C64/Plus 4 hybrid (Basic 3.5, sprites, SID and tons of software!)

Posted By

MIK
on 2002-07-24
 They almost did....

The C128 wink It's a sort of mix'n'match of a Plus/4 come C64 and of course C64 mode sat in there for good measure. I have a D64 with a handfull of basic games on. Other than the sound and colours used the do work, these are C16/Plus4 basic programes BTW wink

Use Vice 128 and grab the D64 from here

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024