Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

TLC
on 2010-11-16
07:42:36
 Re: 256K

Csabo: the difficult part isn't really the installation but the "preparations". First, as we effectively replace the original 64k dram chips by 256k ones, plus the controller board installs at the place of the user port's 6529B, all ram chips + the 6529B need to be desoldered. I wouldn't suggest attempting that unless someone's already practiced (it's pretty easy to damage the motherboard). So the short answer is -- no. The more detailed answer is that you can get those skills ie. you can probably find some defective and/or leftover PCBs around you and practice (...that's how I got those skills myself)... if you can safely desolder chips, ie. the PCB seemingly survives the removal of a chip, you can also count on the survival of your Plus/4 motherboard. You'll need a good thermostate soldering iron and a desoldering pump.

There are some more steps to perform, but neither of them are hard and/or critical; they can be definitely done by someone who can already desolder chips.

(...Well, in fact, I could of course install the expansion myself; however, if I order, say, 10-15 boards and up, buy components, and send them out (either kits or assembled), that's perfectly fine, as long as I don't have to modify the respective 10-15 and up machines all by myself happy. From the other hand, ordering some 2-3-4 boards is possible, and modifying the respective number of machines is also fine, no problem, but the low number of cards will presumably rise the cards unit price (let alone shipping costs)... that's it).

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024