Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Stuart Wilson
on 2002-07-19
 LANDO --- Can I send you my Tom Thumb remake?

Hi.....Lando? I was wondering if it might be possible to send you a copy of my Tom Thumb remake. It still needs a lot of work. I don't really want to put it up online for people to download yet as it still needs a lot of work but would appreciate your comments so far. You might remember me from almost a year ago when I said I was working on a Tom Thumb remake but needed people to help me with graphics. I didnt get much response but I've continued to work on it (although not as much as I had use too).

Anyway, if you could get in contact with me, I'll send you the file.

email me at
stuart@stu-wilson.com

Posted By

Mike
on 2002-07-19
 Hell yeah!

Make a beta available! Everyone will love that!!! don't worry about it not being 100%!!

small and often... good rule for relases.... one I should follow really... but don't have the time

Posted By

Stuart Wilson
on 2002-07-19
 Tom Thumb Remake (again)

OK OK Mike!!!!!!!!! You've convinced me. Just don't laugh at my attempt at a Tom Thumb remake. There is still lots to do, but maybe if people see the current version, they might want to help me with the graphics!!!!!

Anyway, you can find a small demo at the following address

----------------> http://members.aol.com/magnificentstu/tom.zip

The file is zipped and about 600k, so download it, unzip it and run the file GAME.EXE

Look for futher updates at --- www.stu-wilson.com ----

If you have any comments, or if the demo doesnt work, please email me at
stuart@stu-wilson.com

I look forward to all your comments , good or bad!!!!!!!!!

PS - REMEMBER - THIS GAME IS STILL IN VERY EARLY DEVELOPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES I KNOW THERE ARE NO BADDIES - YES I KNOW THE TOM CHARACTER LOOKS RUBBISH!!! I'm working on it!! I'm a web-designer dammit, not a game programmer!! LOL happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2002-07-19
 YO Dude!!

How ya been keeping happy

We've never forgot about your project and always hoped something would come ever since you sent me that screen grab which is still HERE happy

Welcome back Stuart! I'm on me way to grab it now and I'll be back tomorrow to let you know how cool it is as bed is calling, 6am start at work wink

Cheers for now happy

Posted By

Stuart Wilson
on 2002-07-19
 Tom Thumb Remake (again, and again!!!!!!!!!)

Hi Lando........ I've been keeping well. Hope you are well too. I hope you liked the 'VERY SMALL' Tom Thumb demo. Sorry its taken such a long time to become available. I know, I know, I still have a fair bit to do, but its coming along (slowly). Its been on hold for awhile as lately I've been spending more time with my fiance making preperations for our wedding!!!!!!!!

And typical......... I've been so engrossed in things, I missed BITLive AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How was it?

However, I am determined to get this game finished!!!

After a nasty problem with my computer earlier in the year, I virtually lost everything I had done to Tom Thumb PC last year so I more or less had to start from scratch (serves me right for not backing up my computer). Anyway, Im back on track and still hoping people will come forward to help me with the graphics!!!!!!!!

Oh well...... take care, and let me know what you think of the game!!

Stuart happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2002-07-20
 Wow, I'm alittle lost for words because it is so cool :-)

I'm going to be honest here and now and I'm sure other's will agree on this one point! DO NOT change the original Tom Thumb guy for anything else because without him the game may loose that quaility thats been our icon game all these years.

He looks so right with your new GFX, I know he was only one frame, but even at this stage you can imagine the full Tom moving about in your new world and again it felt right to see him there. If you stray away from the orginal movement of Tom and add all kinds of new anim like stuff he will end up like a Mairo. wink

Man I lov the lights on the walls.

The new idea's (if you intended for them to be like that) of the Sonic like jump springs and where you can now pull left/right in mid air are very intresting and could be used in the new adveture!! I could'nt make it into the gap above the flashing pound sign looking thing. Can it be done?? But saying this, if you did add this new feature in, keeping to the oringial 1 chance to make it and timings would be cool. Like you have there, death for those that do it wrong happy

Full screen width would be nice to see even if it ment the borders come back at the top and if you do go as far as making a full game a save option would be cool happy Some where on screen you could have a key icon to show you have 1 and forget the blue/black borders wink Oh and another idea... A high score table and one that we could merge others hi scores into wink

The only downer is I wish I could draw and help you out, wish I had the talent to do the game my self

Anyways keep up the good work. It's really is awesome! Even if you don't ever go back to it I still lov what you did happy Best of luck!!!

Posted By

Stuart Wilson
on 2002-07-20
 Tom...............

Hi Lando.......

Firstly, I'm glad you liked what I have done so far. Just to let you know, I HAVE ALREADY done a highscore table in my latest version, and a save game option is already available in the demo version available (just press F5 to SAVE and F6 to LOAD) although I didn't think it was worth mentioning just yet as the demo isn't big enough to need a save option. Also, I made the demo so YOU CAN'T jump over the big pound sign thingy. I know there is a gap in the wall there, but its impossible to get into, and it won't stay there. As for the way Tom jumps at the moment (Sonic style) -- That will not stay.

I have an animated Tom and I have kept him as close to the original style as possible (although I have done some shading to him so that he looks a bit more 3D. He will move and jump exactly like in the original game, although if people like the way he jumps in the demo, maybe I could implement that in another version?

Anyway, Im glad you like the demo, because if more people like it....... it gives me the determination to make Tom Thumb available to PC users sooner rather than later.

Anyway, I will notify you of further updates to the game and I will make updates readily available at my web site :-

--------------> www.stu-wilson.com

In the meantime, please, if anyone wants to help me with graphics (I promise your name will be in the credits of the finished version), then please contact me - THIS IS A PLEA FOR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bye for now happy

Stuart

Posted By

mike
on 2002-07-20
 cool!!!

I have to agree with Lando... using the actual charater is cool! I love the contrast from the new backgrounds to the old characters... nice style - keep it!

Its looking very cool just now, need any help, give me a shout!

Whats it written in?

Posted By

MIK
on 2002-07-21
 Re: BITLive AGAIN

Well to be honest I thought the magic of retro was lost a little. For the first time this was doing what it was ment to be doing. A night club atmos You might of seen the piccys I took, not many because of the heat and beer wink

Will I go again is the question... I don't really know, they should cover more that just C64 and believe it or not many talked more about other things hehehe. Thier doing something good and should now be looking at bring other machines back into place. Lets have a show about hardware and software and bring the makers along. Thats what I say wink

Posted By

Stuart Wilson
on 2002-07-21
 RE : What is Tom Made in

Hi Mike..... Firstly, I am not a game designer and although I have some experience with writing software, I'm actually writing the remake of Tom Thumb using a pretty impressive programme called Game Maker, which is a free programme that can be downloaded of the net - Its perfect for making retro remakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If there is anything you can help me with, then by all means, I'd love to hear from you. It might even be worth checking out Game Maker for yourself, as I seem to be having a few problems with coding Tom so that he moves and jumps the same way as in the original Plus 4 game.

I think that it would be great for the Plus 4 community to group together on this and help release what probably would be the most eagerly awaited Commodore Plus 4 remake yet!!!!!! I certainly don't want all the credit - I want it to be a Plus 4 game........ made by Plus 4 fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, enough of that (for now). Lando, would you be interested in a whole load of cheats for Plus 4 games to put on your website? I've just been going through all my old tapes and I've got POKES and SYS numbers all over the place (if you know what I mean). Is there still a demand for cheating on the Commodore Plus 4? Let me know and I'll type them all out for you!

Oh well... time for me to go back to working on the game!!!!!!! Seeya (for now!)

Stuart happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2002-07-21
 Cheats

Hi Stuart, yeah that would be great happy
We have a cheat page under way (see above) and the more the better.
Many thnaks for doing that.
Cheers,

Posted By

Stuart Wilson
on 2002-07-21
 Tom Thumb Music!!!!!!!!

Hey LOL, I don't suppose anyone has the original Tom Thumb song as an MP3 do they? LOL!!! I know its a shot in the dark. If not, I guess I'll just have to write it in XM or MOD format!

Cheers!!!!!!!!

Stuart!

Posted By

Stuart Wilson
on 2002-07-21
 NEW RELEASE OF TOM PC AVAILABLE!!

New release with animated Tom and a few baddies available

Go to www.stu-wilson.com to download

Stuart happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2002-07-22
 Tom Thumb MP3 :-)

Check your mail box. She's 1meg. Wav here if you need it at 5meg.

If your after a MOD I made 1 which you can find here. It's only 27k, once you've played it a few times it sounds good wink

Posted By

mike
on 2002-07-22
 (no topic)

Get the new minus4, play it and get it to save a sample for you... then MP3 it happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2002-07-22
 Hehe

yet to look at your update happy good work BTW and many thanks!!

but for the books this baby is a recording from the real machine in action

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024