Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

mike
on 2002-07-18
 www.plus4.com

Well, some of you may have noticed... Im after ideas on how to expand the site...

I have a couple, most have been done before (usually by lando!!!) but its stuff I've always wanted to do. Any other ideas are welcome!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-07-18
 Links

Congrats for getting your hand on plus4.com. My idea: fix the links on your links page. I emailed you more than a month ago about this, and still a lot of them are outdated.

Posted By

Noro
on 2002-07-19
 Congrats!

You now only miss plus4.info and plus4.biz wink

Posted By

MIK
on 2002-07-19

A games site would be nice to see again.

Ever since we changed over to this database it's killed the magic from the gaming side, but from the original games release point of view I was'nt far off the mark which slowed things down alittle and only mega amounts of my covers need scanning (still a 100+++ left) wink..... This has become a dedicated Plus/4 site covering all. There is nothing wrong with this because this RULEZ. In away this has become the Bible of Plus/4 or going that way more and more wink

But something new and fresh to see (does'nt have to be original content) is always great to see. I lov my games, but I'm sure new comers to the retro gaming world hate to pick out games 1 by 1 as we have here. And don't say 64.rulez because I like a site with a face. Previews with easy downloading and the choice to look at something deeper if you wanted was more fun from a gamers point of view wink

My old pages which still sit here will be updated some day.... I don't know when I'll get the time, but the old games/cover archive pages will be deleted. Only the stuff like D64 Recall will be kept with the new look as we have here.

Plus/4 scene would be great with a gaming Lemon 64 style site again. The Germans have one why can't we wink The fact that there was'nt many people doing plus/4 sites ment we had to cover other things, but look what we've ended up with!!! wink

Last of all, to do such a project would take hours and hours and even more hours of your life away. I never once and still haven't wash my car since the day C16/Plus4 ClassiX opened and my nipper is nearly 4 years old, last time I looked he was in a pram (not) wink

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-07-19
 Awww...

So what we have is no good? Slow loading full game list

Posted By

BushRat
on 2002-07-19
 Technical?

Technical articles, in depth programming, how-to projects.... maybe?

Posted By

mike
on 2002-07-19
 Yeah yeah....

Yeah Csabo I know happy

Im also busy doing you a new minus4 with the "quick" start stuff...

I'll get round to refreshing the links soon... if I find some time this weekend I'll have a go..

Posted By

mike
on 2002-07-19
 (no topic)

Yeah, I kinda want to do a games/demo site. Theres some very cool demos out there...

As with a games site, yeah...Id love to do that, which is probably going to be the "basics" of what I'll do..

Tech stuff.... what like?

Posted By

BushRat
on 2002-07-19
 Hmmm..

Oh, I don't know.. certainly not alien abduction stuff (which might account for our fixation on the Plus4). There are things like lightpen/light gun interfaces (remember the Plus4 doesn't have the POT linear that the C64 CIA chips did). Graphic commands usage and conversion using Basic-ML. Multiple ROM switching, using Eprom paging, like the JiffyDos setup did. Modem interfacing. cartridge modification and such. Mouse/Icontroller/Rollerball interfacing. RGB adapters for the Mac/apple monitors (since Commodore monitors are getting scarce and the TV usage sucks!).
Who knows, but we all have to sorta be techie geeks to punish ourselves with the retros... huh?

Posted By

BushRat
on 2002-07-19
 Okay, maybe not so hot

On second thought, maybe it wouldn't have enough appeal to most folks. It was just that back in the late '80s and early 90's the Plus4 was really THE ORPHAN. Even our local Commodore Users Group didn't really know what to make of our hangup. We had to start our own like NPUG and Calvin's group and a few others. The way we finally started to break the ice, here in the States, was to collect or write companion programs to the other Commie machines. Most folks don't realize that those old, virtually Plus4 specific 3+1 files were accepted by the Printed Word program, for the C64128. They looked virtually identical. That EasyScript was the ScriptPlus-CalcPlus companion for those machines. Ntsc/Pal conversion tips/tricks. Stuff like that...
Of course, your Emus have resolved a lot of problems with Ntsc and Pal incompatabilities

Posted By

MIK
on 2002-07-19
 For Csabo.

No you miss the point and don't go thinking we're doing things wrong.

What we have and what you have changed this site into is spot on. We're covering as much as we can, putting the Plus/4 world jigsaw puzzel back together and more. Where possible everything is being put back into place. The real facts are to be found here.

What I ment as in a gaming site was like my old pages, say all the S index games on one page and all the downloads available from that very same page. A quick preivew to show the game/software off and to prove it does indeed work. One of my fav pages were the TAP images! And as an example here goes:

If you want just TAP's were do we go? How many are there? Truth is there are all hiding now wink If I took my tap pages down where else would we look because at the moment people will have to dig into every page to find them and then they are not listed by file types. C16.de have many, but no where near as much as us. The collection is unique, tried and tested.

I've made over 200 tap images, this in it's own right could made a cool site wink

That's the sort of idea and thinking we lack, not that we need to do it if some one else is keen enough to make something of it. We can't have it all and if people can share their support in doing there own thing then cool happy

Posted By

SVS
on 2002-07-20
 I agree perfectly with what Jim wrote

Now that we have the Csabo-Lando site, the only thing we need is a technical site (programming, RESEARCH, deep studies, etc.)
This would realize my dream to make a unique "center" with all the Plus/4 inventions and discoveries (If something was already done, why to re-invent it?)
Hoping to see it early... happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2002-07-20
 I missed Jim's last 2 posting....

Hey you must of poped them in when I was doing mine wink

Have to agree with you Jim this is one side we do lack big time and a good idea.

Posted By

mike
on 2002-07-20
 Style...

Anyone got any ideas for a style? Or should I stick with the current "plus/4 user manual" style?

Posted By

MIK
on 2002-07-21
 Ummm.

Maybe something new or loose the plu4.org look and keep that @ .com
My user manual is black wink yeah I love the blue/white. happy

How about creating a nice PLUS/4 dot COM logo and work around that? Thats how I started. A good site logo can make or break the design wink

Posted By

JamesC
on 2002-07-21
 Logos and Designs

I just want to stake my claim here.... I emailed SVS and Csabo last Saturday (one week ago yesterday) that I had obtained www.cbm264.com and woud put up a new site there. You may preview my new look at that address.

I am still moving files up onto that site so it will be about a month before it's fully functional, but at least you can see what I have in mind. It emulates the look of Commodore's software packaging in the US and Canada.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024