Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

TLC
on 2010-10-16
07:56:28
 Re: Plus/4 2.0

After many years, I tend to agree with philosophy saying things are rather identified by limitations... together with their abilities... happy

If you invest some freetime into a "trip" at YouTube, to watch several demos and games for different platforms, you'll notice that each and all does have its very special and unique flavour happy. This unique flavor is built up by several factors -- but we can probably assume that the primary factor is the bounds implied by the hardware design of the machine... Plus/4 stuffs also have their very distinctive appear and feel -- which is ultimately a result of the abilities and limitations of the stock hardware's design. (...We could mention that the general type of people, generally attracted to the platform should be factor, too -- but IMHO that won't be independent from the hw design's abilities and limitations either).

...That's exactly why I'm not that fond of hardware enhancements (things that fundamentally change the stock machine's characteristics) anymore. Maybe the exceptions would be things generally easing everyday life (communication interfaces, memory expansions, mass storage devices etc. ) but not required by the end-result, especially demos and games. ...Today If I prefer a Plus/4, but adore something which is something fundamentally a C64, well,... there's nothing to prevent me to go and get a C64. If I need something which is fundamentally an Amiga, I go and get an Amiga. ...I prefer the Plus/4's "flavour", and stuff written for something based on, but fundamentally differing from a Plus/4 certainly won't end up carrying a Plus/4 stuffs distinctive look and feel... and for me that's where the story ends.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024