Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Chicken
on 2010-08-28
06:13:25
 Re: CPU replacement?

gerliczer:

Exin refers to a project by Mr. Museum and C16DOC. They used a 6510 to "replace" a 7501/8501. I don't know much about this but as Exin stated already the serial port doesn't work. Otherwise, everything seems to be running stable but I'm not 100% if there are other issues. This was discussed in some German forum years ago.

Obviously, Ruud Baltissen used to have schematics for a 6502 to 8501 board on his website. These are long gone, though (Maybe for a reason.. it might be a good idea to ask him about this). Some years ago I found them on an Italian website and it said the source was R. Baltissen.

Fortunately, the schematics are still there happy http://www.webalice.it/gratteri/65028501.html

In fact, I was so intrigued about this that I asked Solder (a hardware expert) if it's possible. He had a look at it and wondered if anybody actually tried this. Also, he said some of the surrounding logic should be placed on a CPLD to make it smaller. However, he still had spare 8501s so he didn't try this.

I meant to ask TLC about this, too but I haven't done so, yet. But I'm sure he'll jump right in when he reads this wink

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024