Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

BushRat
on 2002-07-16
 Location?

You cleaned the interface contact strips by burnishing them with either a pencil eraser or a clean piece of paper(be sure you are grounded from static). Check and carefully clean the read/write head and also make sure the felt pressure pad is still there. Of course, none of this will account for your error blinks... I wonder if you might be doing the same thing that forced me to re-copy a couple hundred disks a few years ago...
Make SURE that you don't have the drive or the cable near the LEFT side of your Commodore monitor or for that matter ANY monitor! The high voltage transformer is located there and produces VERY large frequency pulses that will SKEW data badly on either read or write. My monitor was sitting on the top shelf of my work desk and the drive was below and under the monitor... what a mess. I could read the disks I copied, but were read errors on another drive, because the data was written skewed.
I would get the same type of garbaged Dir on read, on my 1551 (with blinks and freezes), until I finally moved the drive a cable away from ANY monitor.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024