Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

TLC
on 2010-07-28
10:42:19
 Re: the chipophone

Hehe... happy I should probably learn to play piano "well" ( = at all) to avoid coming through ridiculous first wink. ...And well, I should have mentioned that I do admire LA's ability to cook all ingredients together in such a nice way (experiments, gear, playing tunes and finally making a nice video of that). I did stop experimenting with the ESQ-1 myself shortly after discussing things about/concerning it with you back then... I could say "as usual", but anyway... I know the possibility is there; the synth mimics the structure of the SID pretty well (it's a hybrid subtractive synth with digital oscillators + controls + waveforms, with analog filters + mixing, just as the SID is), ...and it also really behaves like that in practice, at least after some experimenting. So if someone's after a synth to play sort-of authentic chiptune instruments, but doesn't really want / lacks the ability to tinker with microcontrollers and electronics, the ESQ-1 (and it's extended version, the SQ-80) might be a viable "alternative" (say, poor man's Chipophone in this regard...). It used to be relatively cheap, too (it's not a highly rated synth; it used to cost far less than a DX-7, or a Roland Juno series synth, or the other highly rated synths).

Edit: excerpt from a discussion I've just found while looking up midi and/or ESQ-1 tools for Linux

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/printview.php?t=158292&page=5

--->
c_huelsbeck - Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:07 pm
STR8DSP wrote:
Chris: Is this the synth you used for Giana Sisters, and Turrican?

Yes... Giana was pure SID chip though, but the ESQ1 Keyboard was my inspiration for a lot of tunes...
<---

Didn't know I was just hitting the nail on the head... :-D Looks like Chris has been used to composing tunes on an ESQ-1 synth, even in the early years of creating his famous C64 hits.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024