Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

TLC
on 2009-09-11
06:48:10
 Re: MUSIC ON TED (for programmists)

Yerzmyey:

>>Noise can be played on channel 2, and exclusively (either square wave, or noise).
>>Channel 1 can't play noise waveform.
>--------------
>Ugh. That's tough. So that's like on Atari XL. Well, there still could be prepared some "noise only" snare, hm......

It's pretty similar to SID anyway (noise can't really be combined with any other waveform, the AY is pretty special in this subject -- ie. that it can OR square noise outputs together).

But the TED channel can still be switched from and to noise mode anytime. You can probably make instruments that simply turn the noise bit on for some frames -- they will sound similar-ish on the TED, with the exception that the square tone won't be playing "under the noise" for these few number of frames. It should be a matter of experiments I guess.

Yeah, you shouldn't use "drums" on the first channel that is incapable of playing noise; play drum instruments on channel 2 only.

> So that would be an issue of further experiments. I see.

Yeah, possibly.

If you turn your Plus/4 on or download an emulator and enter commands like "vol 8" (set volume level to 8, and "sound 3,freq,time " where "freq" is a integer between 0 and 1023 and time is (AFAIK) time in milliseconds, you can get an overall outlook of the noise waveform of the TED.

>Aha. So the musician would have to use VOLUME command only, to stear it, to make envelopes in 'real time', hehe. Well, I >suspected so, it's not a problem in general, but it is a problem for me as I will not be able to use my favourite ZX editor (it has >only envelopes and no VOLUME command at all). In this case I'll think about a Vortex-Tracker. Maybe it would be even easier for >264 guys, because Vortex is an cross-platform ZX editor (works on PC). Hm.
>Hm, hm, hm.
>It should have VOLUME command.

I don't know which possibilities are the best for you for editing.

I (myself) used to use individual, programmable (software) volume envelopes for instruments in TLCPlay, and used some clever averaging between the actual volume levels of the two channels (we're talking about operations done frame-by-frame here), then kept the volume register updated by the resulting average volume values. ...Clearly not as nice as having individual volume settings, but the end result was bearable. Maybe that's a possibility to play (maybe specially prepared) AY tunes, too.

>110Hz

That's two octaves below the "normal" A note, which is 440Hz. I can't identify how the normal A note is called (which octave it is) in different editors.

>Anywayz. Along these advices and information, I will make some test-song. And upload it somewhere.
>I hope some 264 coder will find this thread and consider givin a try and converting the file into 264. Of course I'll add an MP3 too (without this, it would be impposible to adjust at all ).
>
>************DEAR 264 PROGRAMMISTS************
>Think about the idea.
>Sadly not everybody can write their musix in directly assembler.

I (for one) have been interested about your experiments on TED. I don't promise anything (hate creating vaporware), but I'm still (definitely) interested... that means I might just end up giving that a try in TLCPlay.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024