Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

YERZMYEY
on 2009-09-11
06:22:28
 Re: MUSIC ON TED (for programmists)

TLC:

>1.) You use the TED sounds natively (no artifical sound generation ie. digis)
--------------
Yes, yes, yes, exactly. I wasn't talkin'bout any emulation but simply about an attempt to "provide" some more comfortable music-editor.
For instance - there are some people who makes Spectrum or Gameboy music on Amiga/PC, on proTracker (or Fast) using MOD format. After conversion - they change instrumnets and have ready song.
In our case I would like some 264 coder to convert specially prepared ZX tune into TED, but theoretically it would be more convenient than MOD->ZX because I would try to prepare a set of instruments that would sound very similar on both machines.

>Noise can be played on channel 2, and exclusively (either square wave, or noise).
>Channel 1 can't play noise waveform.
--------------
Ugh. That's tough. So that's like on Atari XL. Well, there still could be prepared some "noise only" snare, hm......

>The noise waveform is hardwired, but you can change the speed at it is played (similarly
>to AY but the waveform appears to be shorter thus more "periodic").
---------
So that would be an issue of further experiments. I see.

>There's no volume envelope logic in the TED (at all). The volume setting is a "global
>volume" that applies to both sound generators at the same time. If you set volume 0,
>both sound channels mute immediately. If you set volume 8, both would play at the
>highest volume level (provided that they were turned on first) immediately.
---------------
Aha. So the musician would have to use VOLUME command only, to stear it, to make envelopes in 'real time', hehe. wink Well, I suspected so, it's not a problem in general, but it is a problem for me as I will not be able to use my favourite ZX editor (it has only envelopes and no VOLUME command at all). In this case I'll think about a Vortex-Tracker. Maybe it would be even easier for 264 guys, because Vortex is an cross-platform ZX editor (works on PC). Hm.
Hm, hm, hm.
It should have VOLUME command.

>The lowest possible frequency that you can generate is about 110Hz.
----------
Ah, that's what I forgot to ask. Octaves. I noticed that TED doesn't have too low basses. That's will be a matter of experiments too, although I will ask one guy about the 110hz too.

Anywayz. Along these advices and information, I will make some test-song. And upload it somewhere.
I hope some 264 coder will find this thread and consider givin a try and converting the file into 264. Of course I'll add an MP3 too (without this, it would be impposible to adjust at all wink ).

************DEAR 264 PROGRAMMISTS************
Think about the idea.
Sadly not everybody can write their musix in directly assembler. happy

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024