Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2009-08-03
17:10:56
 Re: Wiki

James: well, you saw only the English version, while I started with the Hungarian version happy

TCL: you are right, C16 was more tried to attract past VIC20 users. But the inital aim was low cost to kill Spektrum (especially in UK, where they could nto compete), later versions just by marketing guys.
In fact: Black is nice happy (my current PC and equipments are all black)
Plus/4 COULD be a great success, if they would not choose that "business SW" into the ROM (it was just an additional BOM cost with low benefits, as we would say now). Once I read there was a better SW, just it needed some more months to finalize, as did not fit to the original EPROM size.
I know, that after 25 years later (when everyone knows MS Excel), it is easy to criticize, but the just recently released SVS Calc is a perfect example, how good it could be. And you need no mouse and nice graphical UI to be a good business SW like GEOS (which was a breakthu in 8bit). In fact I never understood, why they dropped the numeric keyboard, as it does not cost too much, but gives a more "business-like" look and makes easier the data entry. The "tragic voice" was a nice try, but seriously even marketing guys could not think it can work...

Reading the English Wiki, it is almost correct (not everywhere, like the compatibility of joysticks or datasette). But Hungarian Wiki says: Plus/4 aimed to swap the C64, and that's not correct. At least that part I want to correct.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024