Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Dunric
on 2009-02-19
14:53:58
 New 2-4KB games competition

This, the third year of the 2-4K games competition, will begin in earnest today (February 18th) and run through March 15th.

The parameters for submitting a game are:

1. Must be between 2-4KB. Can use data files up to 64KB in length.
2. Must run on a C64, 128, Plus/4, C16 or VIC-20.
3. Language can be any of these: BASIC, C, COBOL, ML.
4. Genre of the game can be any of these: (a) Adventure/RPG (b) Sports (c) Game Board (d) or Puzzle/strategy (e).
5. Examples of each: (a) Vampyre Cross (b) Winter Games (c) Chess Master 2000 (d) Tetris

Please submit entries to me, zipped, at:

dunric@yahoo.com

Games submitted will be placed on a special section of my website for others to view, download and grade.

That link will be (once up):

http://www.geocities.com/dunric/gamecomp.html

Enjoy!

Posted By

TMR
on 2009-02-20
05:28:35
 Re: New 2-4KB games competition

So some of the more obvious questions being raised here are...

1. Why between 2K and 4K rather than just "under 4K", what have you got against 1.5K programs?
2. What's the point of a size coding competition where up to 64K of external data can be loaded in, unless it's to promote heavy disk access on games that would otherwise not need it?
3. Why such a stifling "range" of game genres?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-02-20
07:09:11

Third year? Can you point me in the direction of the list of entries and winners from the first two years?

Posted By

MagerValp
on 2009-02-20
08:00:21

This competition needs to be rescued. Badly.

Points 1, 3 and 4 are major WTFs.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-02-20
12:36:04

Totally agree on TMR's comments.

Sure, it's your competition so you make the rules. However, I think it shouldn't matter what the program is written in as long as it runs on a standard machine. Maybe you should reconsider the rules. Keeping it simple usually helps.
I do understand that you would like to make it different from Mini Game Compo but then you should go for adventures only or something like that.

Posted By

Chronos
on 2009-02-20
13:52:24

http://www.minigamecomp.org.uk

there is already runnin' a compo happy

Posted By

MagerValp
on 2009-02-20
16:12:38

Ah, good!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-02-20
19:52:15

"Ah, good!" what?

The minigame compo has been running for a few years now, that's a different one (dare I say a real compo?). Is anyone going to submit something for that one? It'd be nice to have our platform represented. I might write one but I need a good fresh idea... Something that's fun to play and hasn't been done yet. That's probably the most important part, the coding itself is easy.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-02-20
20:52:24

The one posted by Chronos is THE "mini game compo".

http://www.ffd2.com/minigame/

I'd like to see a plus/4 entry, too happy

Posted By

Chronos
on 2009-02-21
09:41:48

hey dunric! i don't want anything bad for ya, so i just wanted to attract everybodys attention to an already running compo. Maybe its better for our little platform to submit entries to the "big" compo and to shift your compo later. but its only just my opinion..
any new production always warmly welcomed happy

Posted By

Dunric
on 2009-02-21
11:57:31

The competition is available to anyone who wants to enter. I hope for some good entries this year. The past couple of years only a few people submitted games.

Paul

Posted By

Csabo
on 2009-02-21
16:56:15

The post directly above this one demonstrates once again the authors "write only, read barely" posting style. He ignored most questions and comments above (although answered one that no-one asked). You could look up the thread when he asked us to debug his telephone program. I did, explained what was wrong, but from his follow ups it looks like he didn't read it. Anyway, enough about that.

Dunric, if only a few people submitted games, that's no reason not to post the results and declare a winner. Even if there was only one entry! This is very discouraging: if I choose to submit a game, and there would only be a few others, my work would be in vain.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024