Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Chicken
on 2009-01-30
22:09:28
 Re: Blast from the P

Welcome happy

Because it was the (semi-)official school computer in Hungary. I think I remember an article about 50000 units being purchased for that reason. I'm not Hungarian but from what I heard many of them had their first computer experience on a plus/4 or C 16.

To plus/4 users in "western" countries this was the best thing that ever happened to this system (even beating Udo Gertz' "Winter Events" wink ). It caused a huge wave of software. Sure, lots of it was converted from C 64 but that doesn't make it worth less. And it did (finally) prove what the plus/4 is capable of (and many software houses were not).
There are only a few systems that suffered so much from prejudice as the 264er series did. You can still smell that on almost every "retro computer site". People are just as ignorant as they used to be in the 80s wink

With the plus/4 being somewhat popular in Hungary it was just a logical consequence, that Hungarians made up most of the demo scene (still true). And gave others lots of inspiration (still true, as well happy ).

It's not just limited to "one generation", though. Since users left for other systems, plus/4s were passed on to new owners. So you can find "old school" ppl, some of them of almost legendary fame, and later on, those who admired them became just as good. There have been times, when there wasn't much scene life and even if inet makes communication easier it hasn't helped to revive the scene all the time. Nevertheless, many of those who owned a plus/4 once came back. And some stayed always happy

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024