Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

SVS
on 2008-11-13
07:37:25
 Any news on Plus4emu...

new features? I mean keyboard mapping by user, name of loaded file, etc.
Hello Istvan happy

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2008-11-15
17:22:09
 Re: Any news on Plus4emu...

Sorry for the lack of any news, but unfortunately I do not have much time for Plus/4 stuff, and to be honest I am no longer really interested in it. However, I will try creating a new release with the changes requested so far (probably only the emulator, the utilities will not be updated), but it may take a few months.

Posted By

Ozyma​ndias
on 2008-11-15
18:05:00

How come you are no longer interested in it? I just recently found your emulator and it's quite amazing. I don't have that much time for 8bit stuff either so I haven't read all the forum's threads, yet.

Is it too little (positive) feedback that made you lose interest? In such little scenes this is quite common. But don't be discouraged, it doesn't mean that nobody appreciates your work.

My netbook (Atom 1,6GHz) is probably not fast enough for decent emulation

Posted By

SVS
on 2008-11-17
05:19:59

>>Is it too little (positive) feedback that made you lose interest?

I'm at 99% sure that is this the reason. Then IMHO every Plus4 member *should* (should!) write a line in order to support the development of this essential tool. If you want that somebody code, please at least write a few words.

Posted By

indi
on 2008-11-17
06:51:57

Well, I've always said you don't write this stuff for others.... if you don't enjoy doing it then you shouldn't, and if you do then getting praise back doesn't matter.

Its always nice to get feedback about issues etc. as that helps improve it, but don't expect anyone to ever use/play the stuff you do. Look at the work thats gone into XeO3, and aropund 200-300 people have actually played it. (judging from downloads), and thats not a lot to justify the time - except its a hobby so what the hell.

That said.... personally, I think the more apps/emulators available the better! happy

Posted By

Ozyma​ndias
on 2008-11-17
10:05:04

Istvan, I really hope you regain interest in your emulator. I'm not an expert but I try to learn a little more if time permits.

Besides some small Basic programs I have never programmed on my C16. But it was fun. At first, I didn't have a floppy drive. Just an old C64 datasette, inherited from a cousin who got a 1541, and an adapter to make it fit.
I remember that many magazines critisized the C16's datasette and joystick ports for not being compatible. As if that were a major issue. Nobody critisized the C64 for not having a reset switch because you could just go out and get one. Same with the adapters. Even in my small town TV/Radio Shop they had them.

As I said before, I don't have much time for my C16 but this is a very nice site and I found many things I had almost forgotten about. I still can't believe that Winter Events runs in 16k. I doubt that any other 8bit platform limited to 16k has a game like that to offer. But fortunately, times of platform wars are over happy

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2008-11-17
10:15:56

Of course, enjoying it is an important factor in finding motivation to continue to write something, but in the long term being ignored does eventually lead to losing interest. I already spent a lot of time over years to develop this emulator, and with the total lack of interest after every release, it becomes increasingly difficult to enjoy doing it. Why not move on to something new and more exciting, or just pay more attention to my other projects for which there is an actual demand, even if not by a large number of people ? If I want to write an emulator, why not try some other machines (e.g. C64) ? There are many possibilities for coding as a hobby, and the Plus/4 is getting boring now happy

So, the plus4emu project and all related tools are now officially discontinued. While the code is still copyrighted and licensed under the GPL, the SourceForge project at http://sourceforge.net/projects/plus4emu/ is now abandoned (0 developers), and available for anyone to take over and become the new administrator. If someone is really interested, then feel free to improve it as you like - the source is open, after all. happy And if no one wants to continue it, then it just proves that I made the right choice by abandoning it.

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2008-11-17
10:17:37

P.S.: the first part of the previous message was a reply to indi's post.

Posted By

PaulK
on 2008-11-17
10:31:38

"No longer interested in the Plus 4", hmm. I think you need a break for awhile. Before long something will come along and rejuvenate your interest. I think a lot of us have felt like that, I know I have. Currently I have a few other emulators set up on my laptop - An Amiga and a Playstation one. They get a days use every now again but there is something about the C16/Plus that all ways draws you back. Chin up and keep the faith !!

Posted By

Ozyma​ndias
on 2008-11-17
10:34:00

This is really bad/sad news. SVS seemed to be very interested, too. That's already two of us wink Just joking. The thread about the converted graphics is very long and I think many comments are very encouraging for your project.
After all this time spent on your emu, you shouldn't just give up. Maybe just go on with reduced speed. I'm sure you have more important things in your life and maybe more fulfilling projects. But don't close the doors. I just started to check out the emulator and I'm amazed about the accuracy. I'm not a programmer so I can't really help on that end But so much potential and work shouldn't just ne wasted

Posted By

Chronos
on 2008-11-17
11:44:18

aah bullshit.. sometimes i feel as you, but we're slaves of our platform happy so, i think u will return as i or as csio did..

Posted By

MMS
on 2008-11-17
12:57:21

Hmm, I hope I way clear enough when I put repeatedly "respect" signs on the Plus4emu and your work, although it was clear, that for me the most important part was the graphics converter unit, which -in fact- needed a proper emulator running in the background.
Well, before that I have never imaginged to get such a picture on Plus/4 (OK, in IFLI), what was the Tuthankamon picture I converted. Maybe upload somehow here...
This tool saved me a lot of time to create very accurate converts (much much better for plus/4 than Congo and the other C64 tools): just needed pixels here and there to be put. (OK some people may criticise this approach, but well, if you can do 10 good pictures in the same time, as usual way: we need a LOT of good graphs for Plus/4 per person)
I really spent >200 hours with your Emu and converter, I hope it confirms to you, how important it was to me.
Actually I had some new ideas, maybe I should really look for those sourcecodes, although I know very well, that I cannot catch up to the work you did till now over the years (it is anyhow over my competencies, as I did not program anything in the last 10 years, but let's learn something new: it's a challenge!) happy

Posted By

Chronos
on 2008-11-18
15:13:15

hey! Looks like the new Need For Speed Undercover is out for commodore plus4 too:

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/view/081118/nfsu_hires_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.gif

its a SIMPLE hires picture guys!

---
Istvan! your converter gives marvellous results, but i have some ideas to improve it. Imho the converter is better than your emulator its a true classic!!
if there is a petition out the to continue the plusemu i will sign it!
peace..

Posted By

Bacon
on 2008-11-19
06:58:55

Sorry to hear that Istvan. I've cheered you on since I first heard about your emulator, and I'll do it again in the vain hope that you'll continue developing it. Since it was (until now) the only actively developed Plus/4 emulator that ran natively in Linux, I was very happy when I discovered it.

"if no one wants to continue it, then it just proves that I made the right choice by abandoning it."
No, that just means that there are no competent enough programmers interested in continuing it. I for one would love to continue it but my coding skills extends only to some 6502 assembly and a tiny amount of Python, and I just don't have enough free time to learn enough programming to be able to take over such a huge project.

If you don't think the project is fun anymore then that's a perfectly good reason not to continue it, but don't blame the users for not being supportive enough.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024