Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

SVS
on 2008-10-18
07:26:35
 Dual core CPU

My new Pc is a dual core CPU. When I run an emulator at full speed (ALT-W) I obtain that processor is busy for 50%. I suppose it uses all resources of one of the cores.
Then, does anybody know if is there a way to set the PC to work with both the cores (multithread mode?), and if yes where can I set this?
Thank you!

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2008-10-18
10:38:45
 Re: Dual core CPU

You already have multithreading active (hence the 50% usage), but a program can use multiple cores only if it is specifically designed to do so.

Alternatively, you can run two instances of the emulator (one on each core) without losing performance.

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2008-10-18
16:28:11

In plus4emu, I use a separate thread for the GUI and video, and for the hardware emulation, although I do not know how much - if any - improvement is there from this. However, making the actual hardware emulation multi-threaded would be quite difficult, unfortunately.

Posted By

SVS
on 2008-10-19
03:55:51

Istvan,
indeed I've noticed a speed increment with Plus4emu since I run it on my new PC (congrats!). Now I achieve a 450% when in full speed mode, with disk activity.
The processes use about a 54% of CPU. Maybe this could mean that main process uses 50% (a whole core) and other process (disk?) uses only a 4%?

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2008-10-19
05:44:31

The disk emulation is not in a separate thread from the emulation of the main CPU and TED. The 4% could be the video display (which is limited to 50 fps or less in full speed mode), or perhaps it is slightly more than 4%, but the emulation does not use the full 50% because it spends some time waiting for the display thread. However, I assume it can be seen in the task manager how much the CPU usage is separately for each core ?

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2008-10-19
05:48:11

By the way, the CPU usage of the video display code depends largely on the settings. If you select the full quality (3, PAL emulation with GL shaders) or the "resample to monitor refresh rate" mode and OpenGL, it may very well become more than 4%.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024