Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2008-05-06
20:27:54
 Re: Plus/4 World usage guidelines?

Let me chime in with my 2 cents then. I guess we did do a good job of keeping things open, the goal always was so make the site by everybody - for everybody. It's a community site. If it depends too much on any single person, when that person falls it takes the site with him. So score one for the good guys - that ain't happening.

As far as to Luca's suggestion, I think it has merit. I also think we don't have to rock our brains too much, 'cause this stuff have been figured out by others happy I say we look to Wikipedia. Now there's a huge and successful site, which is completely open. Will no-one mind if I compare ourselves to them? wink My point being, we're not quite there yet, because our site's framework only has rudimentary forms of content management/version control.

So the long term goal for us is to be able to track who changed what and when. Then, stuff can be easily tracked down, reverted, etc. (And of course a select few will wield a mean ban stick.) If anyone has PHP and MySQL knowledge and free time, let me know, there's work to be done.

Second issue: some initial guidelines WOULD be good for people who just got editor access. Just some basic stuff as to what goes where, how to submit files, where to ask questions etc. Any volunteers to write them up?

And then one more bonus one for the end: have you guys ever thought about what would "layman" person see when they first visit our site? I know I have, because I've visited other sites that dealt with topics I knew nothing about, it was a bit weird to be greeted by a news section (like our site). I do know that we have some stuff to offer for non sceners... it would be nice if we could polish Plus/4 World a little bit to make that first ever visit a bit more friendly experience.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024