Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

PaulK
on 2007-11-25
12:37:08
 Need some info please.

Hi to everyone on here. I have been hanging round on this site for a long while now but have never posted. Anyway I have few C16's and plus 4's in my loft which I use quite regulary. One of the plus 4's - the keyboard does not work. I have tried swaping keyboards and all the removable chips apart from the Ted chip as I thought that was for audio and video only, but reading through earlier post somebody suggested swaping that out. Is that correct ? and if so due to the Ted being in a metal case would it be ok to run it for a couple of a minutes not sealed in its casing or will it fry.
Thankyou for your help and hope to get better aquainted as time goes on.

Posted By

SVS
on 2007-11-25
14:07:02
 Re: Need some info please.

Hi Paul, in brief:
1) Yes the TED manages the keyboard too, then it "could" be responsable of the trouble;
2) The metallic case is used also for cooling the IC then, once substituted with a new one, it it suggested to reinsert the metallic cover. (Or at least to refresh it by a fan or other mode for a few minutes of the test).

Let me remember you that once extract the suspected fault TED, you have to put it into the new machine to test it (and not to put a new working TED into the fault machine). This avoids that possible fault circuit burns the working TED.

Bye

Posted By

PaulK
on 2007-11-25
14:35:18

I have 2 Ted chips to test which I think are still working from 2 plus 4's which are in bits, so I will not risk any from my working machines. Thankyou for your quick response and advice

Posted By

TLC
on 2007-11-25
17:59:01

Hi Paul!

You can operate the TED without cooling; in fact the TED in the C-16 and C-116 operates without any heatsink at all. If the keyboard is absolutely deaf you could also suspect U27, a 6529B (http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/schematics/computers/plus4/p4-left.jpg ), but you'll know more after replacing the TED first.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024