Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

TLC
on 2007-11-11
13:23:31
 Re: Drean Commodore 16 details -- finally...

Luca: it's nice, thanks! happy

István: yep; personally, I can see three points where differences might or should be addressed in an emulation... the first one is the easiest, the different base clock. Second, the single modification of the clock divider (simple in principle, might be tough in practice, as you yourself admitted). ...BTW I'm almost sure that if I'd take this 8365 TED and put in into an NTSC machine, the computer would boot up just like a regular 8360-equipped NTSC one. ...I'll do that test someday, I have an NTSC C-16 (in fact a modified European one, but that makes no difference as long as the RF-modulator is unused), but unfortunately not at hand ATM. Third, and only for display emulation mode: PAL-N should have slightly worse horizontal color resolution than PAL-G, so the colors should be more blurred horizontally. (This is clearly seen in an NTSC vs. PAL C-16 test, and as PAL-N is more likely NTSC in this subject, the blur should rather be NTSC-alike as I guess).

I'm personally very interested to see how much more blurred the color screen of the PAL-N C-16 is... and it's not just the analysts point of view (...rather, it would just be cool to see the classics and also newer stuff in native PAL-N colors, once I have this machine :D ). ...Obviously, I could not "see" it yet, as I have no PAL-N capable displays. I should obtain or buy a PAL-N decoder, but my attempts have (so far) failed. The gadget that I'm aiming to get hold of is something that decodes PAL-N in a regular analog way, and can be connected to the analog RGB input of the SCART socket of this TV. With that, the comparison could be real. However, I haven't found anything like that at Internet shops yet; the gadgets found were all digital ones instead, and I avoid those (as I don't feel that those would give an appropriately "real" result). ...Will possibly end up building one from scratch... there are at least a handful of useable PAL-decoder chips out there, I just didn't want to fiddle with this detail myself.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024