Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2007-09-12
07:08:54
 Re: Plus4Emu v1.2.2

If no command works, and the LED is always on, that means that the drive ROM is possibly not loaded for some reason, e.g. the file is missing/corrupted, or there is an error in the configuration. To fix that, try these:
- open the Machine/Configure... window
- select the Memory tab
- at 'ROM images', check what is set for 1541; it should be roms\dos1541.rom (or roms\dos15412.rom for 1541-II) under the plus4emu installation directory, and the file offset should be zero
- check if the above mentioned files exist, and have a size of 16384 bytes; if there is any problem, just download http://www.sharemation.com/IstvanV/roms/plus4emu_roms.zip, and extract it to the roms\ directory, overwriting any existing files
- you can also reset the memory configuration by loading one of the files (the default is P4_64k_PAL_3PLUS1.cfg) from config\ with 'File/Configuration/Load from ASCII file'

The speed problem is indeed quite odd. On an AMD Athlon64 3200+ (2 GHz), running the Windows build, I get about 610% with the default settings and no floppy drive, 625% with the display quality set to zero, 325% with one 1541 drive and high timing accuracy, 350% with one 1551 drive, and 360% with 1541 and low timing accuracy. 64-bit Linux is about 1.15 times faster. While these are still not very good, I wonder if the difference in the CPUs could result in such a large (more than 4x) slowdown. So, the other possibilities are:
- differences in the operating system (Windows version)
- video driver problem (what happens if you turn off 'Enable display' in Display/Configure... ? for me, that allows the Windows version to run at 750% with no floppy drive)
- maybe the QueryPerformanceCounter() function that is used for timing is not working reliably, as has been reported earlier with some hardware and BIOS versions ?
It could also help if other people posted the maximum speed values on various configurations, so the results can be compared.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024