Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Degauss
on 2007-07-21
18:06:33
 Re: So I want to do plus/4 gfx...

I can't refuse to give my two cents to this:

This all feels like the platform-scene-wars back in the 80's. I recently read an "atari vs c64" thread that was even more pathetic compared to this "+4 vs C64"-topic that still comes up from time to time. (The CSDB-thread about the database expansion was also a more funny reading to me - why so complicated? why all this argument? what for? ).

My thoughts are these: Its big fun to create stuff on old computers and it's even more fun to meet people who share this fun with you at demoparties. I like the chitchatting, the tech-bla and the boozing. I *never* had the feeling there is a platform-schism when you talk to people in real life - more than that: i can clearly see a growing mutual interest over the past years. And i really really like that!

For me its a lucky day when Jailbird does a MCFLI-pic on +4 or Oswald extends his P1 to support +4. I know these guys do it for the same reason i'm doing my stuff.

Albeit all this and to my very surprise, there is some schism between both scenes that only can be seen on the internet. Personally, i can't understand why CSDB doesn't just *link* software on "related" platforms which were (for example) released in a mixed 8-bit-compo (or, more general: links to software which could in some soft and undefined manner be interesting for the c64-people). A similiar thing would happen here: Once Oswalds P1 will support +4-modes it surely will become linked in this site's tools-section. That would totally do the job and would make that internet-schism go away...

Perffs final goal is - in my eyes - way over the top. It would not only result in redundant data, it also would clobber the C64-stuff with "foreign" data while there already is an (almost) complete +4-database. The internet's most useful feature still is the *HYPERLINK*, make use of it!

@Jailbird and Jedi: Welcome! I'm looking forward to see your further work! (If you want to paint in 320x264, tell me. I can help wink )

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024