Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

IstvanV
on 2007-03-30
10:03:44
 Re: Beta version of new emulator is now available

As it is now, I have split the project into two separate single-machine emulators, ep128emu and plus4emu (which might be renamed based on suggestions). While I find it a technically preferable solution to have a single multi-machine emulator - as long as I do actually intend to actively support more than one machine - users seem to like emulators written specifically for their favorite machine, and the addition of others is generally perceived to be just a source of compromises to be made affecting the quality, performance, and usability. So, I would probably make a "final" release for both single machine emulators, but then only continue to actively develop one of them (I am personally more interested in Plus/4 emulation at the moment, but it seems to be not as well received by users, and there are already many other emulators; I should probably also take into account the feedback after the separate releases, the number of downloads, etc.).
Regarding the stolen code issue: well, I do not know, nor care much about how respected any particular person is here, but I do find it suspicious when in a very short amount of time, several non-trivial hardware aspects are "discovered" by a closed source project, just after they appear in my code, and even some bugs are the same. There is still a non-zero chance that it is just coincidence, but I cannot know for sure either way, and I also did not say that I am certain, only suspicious. Of course, the ideal (but very improbable) solution would be to not have closed source in the first place. In the end, this is all just another reason not to choose the Plus/4 as the machine to focus on in the future, but is not by itself important enough to make a decision.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024